• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing a buffalo horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
So the skull is still in the freezer. It's damaged from a bullet to the temple. Can the horn be easily removed to be made into a powder horn? If so how?

:grin: also hoping on some guidance in getting the innards out.

I'm not sure about buffs, but with a pronghorn, I just let it sit outside until the horn just pulls right off. The insides stay with the skull. It will smell a bit, so if you live in town, you might take it to a friend that has property.

Just put the horns in a 5 gallon bucket of water and put the bucket on a gas grill or other heat source OUTSIDE! ... Boil them for about an hour and the cores will come out!

You'll have to let them dry and cure for at least a few months before working into powder horns for best results!

Rick

First.....ye kill a buffalo
Ya kill the Buffalo first? DAM! I just threw him on the ground and riped the horns off.
DadPicture001-2.jpg
[/img]

Rifleman1776 said:
Now...about the gun in the picture. :nono:
At least it wasn't a stainless/synthetic .338WM with a big honkin' scope! Though I'm tempted to shame him for not using a leather buttcuff and cast bullets. :wink:

Mike Brines said:
I'm not sure about buffs, but with a pronghorn, I just let it sit outside until the horn just pulls right off. The insides stay with the skull. It will smell a bit, so if you live in town, you might take it to a friend that has property.
I bought a green hide several years ago and the guy threw in the buffalo head. I took the head to a nephew's place and he put it on a fence post near a field. When I came to pick the head up a couple of months later, one horn was already missing!

Cold soak the skull for a while in a large enough container to completely cover the skull and horns. They will pop off the cores in a short time, if its warm, if its colder it will take more time. You can also boil the skull and the will pop off.

You killed a buff. Thats cool. :thumbsup:
One of the thing on my bucket list.
You could also do a skull mount your self with the caps still on.
Or cut them off at the skull, boil, and pop out the core like cow horns.
You've got all kinds of stuff to play with there.
Meat, robe, bones, hooves, etc.
Way to go.

Nice buff! NICER Sharps!!! Unless I'm mistaken we're lookin' at a Shiloh. I shot both of mine with Sharps rifles. The rancher wouldn't allow a front stuffer. I had a Euro mount done on the first bull's skull. When I picked up the meat from the processor he offered a skull from his dumpster when I asked. The horns fall off naturally after a while or boil it. The bone spike stays on the skull. No matter what....you'll get some stink!! Congrats on the bison.
buffskull.jpg

Beautiful skull mount. I have one from a previous hunt and another that I still need to pick up. You've got a good eye. It is a Shilo.

My first two buffalo kills were with a .54 Cabelas Hawkins and a .62 Underhammer RB. I needed to baptize the Shilo. ML will kill them quickly provided we do our part. The first buffalo took two hits to the lung, liver. It took a while to finally collapse. The second one was shot behind the horn and broke the spine.

This last one I was aiming for the behind the horn and hit it in front behind the eye socket and horn. Go figure. It still went down like a ton of bricks.

They are a hardy beast and hang on to life as long as they can. Killed my last one back in the spring with the .58.

Latest posts

Back