• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington RB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59sharps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok someone gave me 300 or so Remington Premier Golden Lead Round Ball. The Lead seams soft but not as soft as Pure. Any one know how hard or soft it is? what do they put on it to give it the gold color. they are 50 Cal 490 Nothing I use so I'm planing on melting them down and recast or mix with other lead and cast into something I use. Or trade to a friend for other lead.

One of my hunting pards prefered them as long as he could get them. No real difference when he switched to Hornady on game or on paper, but he sure grumbles that he can't find any more up here. If you don't want to shoot them, look around for a trade, rather than melting them. If my pard is any indicator, there are folks out there who like em.

:haha: I guess thats what a golden BB is.

Can remember seeing advertisments in mag's but never actually seen the Remington golden balls.

I remember seeing those years back, I think the sales pitch was "copper coated" for extra velocity and penetration. :hmm:
I don't think I'd want copper mixed in the pot with my good lead. I spose the copper would float, but I'd find someone that shoots a 50 and let'm go for the price you got in'm. Folks always remember gifts :wink:

I've seen lots of his recovered from game and various backstops. The balls flattened and acted like pure lead in any way I could see. It looks as though the color is a microthin coating. You'd have to work to get a paint coat that thin. Maybe it's an electroplate process. Dunno. My hunting pard never claimed any special accuracy or game performance. He was just used to them and liked them.

I wonder if a handling gimmick was behind it all. Being coated with whatever it is, kept you from touching lead? :hmm:

As I recall, Remington went through a period of "branding," trying to make their ammo look really distinctive. They made their 22 rimfire bullets gold, and I think I recall some lead centerfire pistol ammo that was the same way. I wasn't shooting muzzleloaders at the time, but I associate it more with image than concern for lead.

But the guys (or at least my hunting pard) who liked it, really liked it.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I aughta have some fun with him. I must have a can of gold spray paint around here somewhere! :rotf:

I got a few packages of them in .54 year before last at a sportsmans flea market.
Shot them out of my GPR. They shoot just fine and loaded easy.

I had a couple of them left from a box I bought years ago; I used the calipers on them and they varied in size a little bit. Some measured .485 when they were supposed to be .490. The Hornady .495's were all .495.

I use the Hornady .495's in my 50 caliber TC's with great results.

I still have 2 boxes in .54 cal. and prefer them because they don't get an oxide coating. Killed elk w/ them and they did a bang up job. Only wish they were still being offered.....Fred

I got about a 1000 off e-bay about 2 years ago and gave them to my Son. His only gripe with them is the individual packageing of each ball. Always hates getting them out of the packages.
They look like and perform like good bullets. I got them at scrap lead prices so couldn't turn them down.
Fox :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
As I recall, Remington went through a period of "branding," trying to make their ammo look really distinctive. They made their 22 rimfire bullets gold, and I think I recall some lead centerfire pistol ammo that was the same way. I wasn't shooting muzzleloaders at the time, but I associate it more with image than concern for lead.

But the guys (or at least my hunting pard) who liked it, really liked it.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I aughta have some fun with him. I must have a can of gold spray paint around here somewhere! :rotf:

Brownbear you are on the right track, but don't have enough imagination.
Paint 'em blue and tell him they're ballistic tips. :grin:

Jim

Latest posts

Back