• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Hope To Meet With Lead Casting Folks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a ton of wheel weights over the 45+ years I've cast bullets for my Sharps .50/140, I've never had a problem. Steel floats up after the melt. I skim it and the cross off. Then skim the dross off one more time. I put. Small cube of soap in after the second skim, and mix it in good. Then I start pouring to heat up my mold. After about 5 pours, the mold is hot enough to pour a complete flawless bullet. I add back in the partial bullets from first pours, mix well, and pour until I'm done. Any extra I have in my left furnace, I make small ingots. It's easy, but you can get burned if you screw up.
I used wheel weights for cf bullets for a time Had an in with the manager of a Tire Kingdom. Eventually gave up as much as for the smell burning rubber dust and the labor of trying to sort the various pieces of debris out. The finial straw was discovering a ring of “crust” lining the bottom third of the pot. Zinc??? Had to chip it out with a screwdriver. Even experience any contamination like that. ??

A bit late to the party here. I'm in Florida myself, almost due east on the other coast. There is a lot of great advice in this thread. So I'll leave all that to what's been said. Some Florida advice though....

Cast all the roundball you think you'll need for the year in the winter! Rains less often and the outside air/humidity are all the more bearable!

And second... Pay attention to the older neighborhood roofs. After any tropical event, folks tend to get the roof fixed with insurance help. Make friends with the roofers. For a cold one on a hot day, they will set aside the old vent boots (pure lead) for ya. Usually 2-3 per roof. Will warn ya now though... The leftover tar is a bear to clean up and stinks. You can 'smelt' it off, hot, sticky, stinky, messy (another winter sport) or try to freeze it off.. the later requiring renting premium freezer space with the Mrs..

Almost all my lead is range lead from a range where they only shoot B/P guns, I throw it in the pot dirt and all, melt it, skim it and flux it several times and start casting. I can tell the pure lead from the wheel weight lead by how much the bullets are deformed in the berm, if I have a lot of what I call splatter lead (pure) I separate it from the wheel weight lead.

casting bullets 007.JPG

I have about 100 pounds of this lead stockpiled.

lead stockpile 002.JPG

I used wheel weights for cf bullets for a time Had an in with the manager of a Tire Kingdom. Eventually gave up as much as for the smell burning rubber dust and the labor of trying to sort the various pieces of debris out. The finial straw was discovering a ring of “crust” lining the bottom third of the pot. Zinc??? Had to chip it out with a screwdriver. Even experience any contamination like that. ??
Never clean scrap lead in your casting pot.

Almost all my lead is range lead from a range where they only shoot B/P guns, I throw it in the pot dirt and all, melt it, skim it and flux it several times and start casting. I can tell the pure lead from the wheel weight lead by how much the bullets are deformed in the berm, if I have a lot of what I call splatter lead (pure) I separate it from the wheel weight lead.

View attachment 150565

I have about 100 pounds of this lead stockpiled.

3View attachment 150566
If I was down to 100 pounds, I would panic! I have enough lead to tip my county half a bubble off level! Probably around 3000#.

I've used a ton of wheel weights over the 45+ years I've cast bullets for my Sharps .50/140, I've never had a problem. Steel floats up after the melt. I skim it and the cross off. Then skim the dross off one more time. I put. Small cube of soap in after the second skim, and mix it in good. Then I start pouring to heat up my mold. After about 5 pours, the mold is hot enough to pour a complete flawless bullet. I add back in the partial bullets from first pours, mix well, and pour until I'm done. Any extra I have in my left furnace, I make small ingots. It's easy, but you can get burned if you screw up.
It makes no sense to me at all to pour 4-5 molds to heat it up, only to have to remelt down the bad bullets, instead of using a torch or the furnace etc to pre heat the mold to make the 1st pour a good usable bullet.

It makes no sense to me at all to pour 4-5 molds to heat it up, only to have to remelt down the bad bullets, instead of using a torch or the furnace etc to pre heat the mold to make the 1st pour a good usable bullet.
Just a note, but I do believe most mold producers will advise against using a torch to heat a mold. I’ve read that somewhere in the past 40 years or so. I’m impatient so with aluminum molds I’ll pour once or twice to heat the mold. Less bothersome than waiting for other means to heat.

I do not smoke molds ,just make sure they are grease free and I do that with a little brake cleaner (outside carefully) after brushing some Dawn soap cleaner and rinsing in cold water .A clean dry mold heated to temp on a (HOT PLATE) maintains mold temp and they drop easy with no (EFFORT) If casting conicals ,not everyone uses just round balls /flint locks, I do both find filling mold easier compression casting using tin 20-1 /30-1 . Lube grooves /base are nice sharp and accuracy will improve !/Ed
I read recently that adding a small amount of zinc helps with sharp edges? 44-40 as example with a xtra wide bullet lube grove

Anything really wrong if pure lead is heated over say 700 degrees? I have a lee pot setting of 2 or 3 gets it around if not over 700 I recently found out LOL. Smaller molds I found work best. Single or double cavity vice a 5 cavity mold.
Run pure hot ,works for me, my Lee 20lb goes to 8 and thats what it set at/Ed

Think you mean tin. Tin allows the lead to flow more easily and fill out the mold details. It doesn’t add hardness.
It absolutely adds hardness It is exactly how magically my pure lead turns into 20-1 /16-1 hardness , from a BHN of 6 to a BHN of 10 according to my Cabin tree BHN hardness tester by adding tin into pure at the above ratios ! And not for nothing if I want harder I can bump the hardness to 20-22 BHN by doing nothing more to the above alloy than water quenching . I've done it for many(MANY YEARS) a necessary requirement of rolling your own PP 530 grain Rockets for long range for my TC Renegade 1-18 twist Rice barreled launcher

Back