• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Hope To Meet With Lead Casting Folks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It absolutely adds hardness It is exactly how magically my pure lead turns into 20-1 /16-1 hardness , from a BHN of 6 to a BHN of 10 according to my Cabin tree BHN hardness tester by adding tin into pure at the above ratios ! And not for nothing if I want harder I can bump the hardness to 20-22 BHN by doing nothing more to the above alloy than water quenching . I've done it for many(MANY YEARS) a necessary requirement of rolling your own PP 530 grain Rockets for long range for my TC Renegade 1-18 twist Rice barreled launcher
Yes of course.
Adding tin to lead or lead alloys increases hardness and strength, but lead-tin alloys are more commonly used for their good melting, casting, and wetting properties, as in type metals and solders.
In bullet casting antimony is the primary hardening alloy. Tin is added for the reason mentioned above.

Yes of course.
Adding tin to lead or lead alloys increases hardness and strength, but lead-tin alloys are more commonly used for their good melting, casting, and wetting properties, as in type metals and solders.
In bullet casting antimony is the primary hardening alloy. Tin is added for the reason mentioned above.
Probably why I still go broke casting 50 some yrs later , you just said it as well 35 40 launches every Friday 530 gr at a time is the other reason /Ed

Based on what Rifleman1776 said about "stir and skim the melted lead frequently", I am going to
look for videos, to specifically see what the visual is, regarding what we SEE when we need to SKIM.

I've been casting my own RB's since the early 80's, not that I consider myself an expert.
I bought one of those electric melting pots when I started and regretted it , learned to to stay simple and use an old Saucepan with a copper bottom over an outdoor Gas range Gas; with a good ladle and good moulds for each calibre I use.

I dont like buying a lot of commercial products when less costly and practical alternatives suffice, eg; cleansing molten lead by using some chips of Candle wax so the dross (impurities) float to the top and can be skimmed off with a perforated metal spoon (fitted with a wooden handle) does the job.

IMHO running your own lead balls is enjoyable in that youre being an independant practitioner and going the whole way for the Muzzle loading experience, isnt that one of the reasons we embrace BP Muzzle loading firearms ?

Gu
It makes no sense to me at all to pour 4-5 molds to heat it up, only to have to remelt down the bad bullets, instead of using a torch or the furnace etc to pre heat the mold to make the 1st pour a good usable bullet.
Guess I was always laid back when casting. The heating process was always part of the "casting religion" since the days I cast in front of a campfire.

S
It absolutely adds hardness It is exactly how magically my pure lead turns into 20-1 /16-1 hardness , from a BHN of 6 to a BHN of 10 according to my Cabin tree BHN hardness tester by adding tin into pure at the above ratios ! And not for nothing if I want harder I can bump the hardness to 20-22 BHN by doing nothing more to the above alloy than water quenching . I've done it for many(MANY YEARS) a necessary requirement of rolling your own PP 530 grain Rockets for long range for my TC Renegade 1-18 twist Rice barreled launcher
SIc em!

Gu

Guess I was always laid back when casting. The heating process was always part of the "casting religion" since the days I cast in front of a campfire.
Agree I spent a lot of money on a custom mold that while it works I should have went with a double or single. It obviously require a lot of heat so the first pour turns out as well as the last. Surprisingly it’s steal which costs more but I obviously didn’t have hot enough. I sat it over the lead next attempt I’ll have a propane tourch with me. Needs to be 400 degrees to be ready to accept lead. Lol my lead was also too hot when I stuck a thermometer in it was almost 900 degrees. So instead of making bullets i was burning lead. The pot itself worked well first time I used it but after I used it one time the crude clogged the drip pin and I had to spend an hour cleaning it out. I don’t make much of my own because I’m lazy but getting a 44-40 or 45LC with a large lube cavity for bp does not exist have to pour your own.

I read recently that adding a small amount of zinc helps with sharp edges? 44-40 as example with a xtra wide bullet lube grove
Don't use zinc, that will make for a bad batch of lead. Use tin, or if you can find some, use linotype.
Linotype added to your lead helps to fill out the mold nicely. Also, if you're melting wheel weights, be careful of weights that have a bright silver coating, that is usually a zinc coating.

Agree I spent a lot of money on a custom mold that while it works I should have went with a double or single. It obviously require a lot of heat so the first pour turns out as well as the last. Surprisingly it’s steal which costs more but I obviously didn’t have hot enough. I sat it over the lead next attempt I’ll have a propane tourch with me. Needs to be 400 degrees to be ready to accept lead. Lol my lead was also too hot when I stuck a thermometer in it was almost 900 degrees. So instead of making bullets i was burning lead. The pot itself worked well first time I used it but after I used it one time the crude clogged the drip pin and I had to spend an hour cleaning it out. I don’t make much of my own because I’m lazy but getting a 44-40 or 45LC with a large lube cavity for bp does not exist have to pour your own.
Actually learn to cast ,problem solved ,I see lots of mistakes corrected easily by reading and not for nothing
was suggested (HOT PLATE) fixes several ! PM me for the rest/Ed

I like both ideas and didn’t think of either until now. Though for me I’m going to try a small propane tourch; I have so much stuff now I’m thinking lately what would happen to all my stuff if I went toes up prematurely. My wife wouldn’t know and though I have a son he’s not a tinker like me. Thanks I’m going to try to cast some 44-40 hopefully this weekend specifically with my new 5 drop mold heating it up with the propane; sparingly.

Back