• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Hope To Meet With Lead Casting Folks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootistJack

To Hunt Is To Live
Reaction score
I'm certainly willing to drive somewhere. I live about 17 miles northwest of Tampa International Airport,
the very bottom of Pasco County, and I would really appreciate meeting someone to tutor me in person
so that I can learn to cast, for ammo. I need to learn which metals to add to the lead, and the ratios,
methods you use to avoid VOIDS, and so on. I received as a gift a Lyman lead melting pot, and I have
a few other related items.

Thanks friends!

I'm certainly willing to drive somewhere. I live about 17 miles northwest of Tampa International Airport,
the very bottom of Pasco County, and I would really appreciate meeting someone to tutor me in person
so that I can learn to cast, for ammo. I need to learn which metals to add to the lead, and the ratios,
methods you use to avoid VOIDS, and so on. I received as a gift a Lyman lead melting pot, and I have
a few other related items.

Thanks friends!
Well, if just muzzleloading, only use pure lead. The guys that cast for modern ammo used to add or use wheel-weights, but they don't use them much anymore in the automotive business. Good luck!

Well, if just muzzleloading, only use pure lead. The guys that cast for modern ammo used to add or use wheel-weights, but they don't use them much anymore in the automotive business. Good luck!
Well, Ive learned something ALREADY ! Here I'd been of the belief
that there were other metals mixed in for our flintlock projectiles!

Use only pure lead, get a thermometer, preheat your mold by laying or standing it up on the side of the pot while the lead melts, cast at about 800 degrees. Use a stick of wood or rawhide mallet to open the sprue plate to keep from peening the plate.

Dump the ball/bullet on an old towel or whatever to cushion it when it falls out of the mold, repeat a few hundred times.

In my opinion after 50 years of casting the lead doesn't have to be pure, just soft. If you can scratch it easily with a thumbnail it's soft enough. Look for old lead sinkers at garage sales. I've even found sheet lead for next to nothing. After awhile you'll find yourself looking for it unconsciously, it just jumps right out at you.
As far as thermometers go, I have two. Both of them are Lyman made to the high quality standards of the Chinese. When I put them both in the same pot of lead one will read 800 degrees and the other reads 700. Life was easier when I just heated up the lead in a cast iron pot on a Coleman stove and didn't pay much attention to how hot it was or how pure. If the balls were smooth and shot good that's all I needed to know.
As far as technique I much prefer a dipper and open the sprue plate with a gloved hand.
One last thought since you live in Florida where it gets hot; don't cast while you're barefoot. That lead is hot!

Last edited:
Life was easier when I just heated up the lead in a cast iron pot on a Coleman stove
Pretty much the way I did it for years as a kid. If they came out smooth, they worked fine.. Only recently bought a thermometer.. Still recycle any round balls with obvious external ridges or other flaws back into the pot.

Lot of good advice already. I'm a propenent of lead as pure as you can get. I have never used a thermometer. When the lead flows, fills out well and has the start of a, sorta, frosty look, the temp is right. Stir and skim the melted lead frequently. I have not found adding anything (bees was, commercial stuff, etc.) to be of any value in fluxing. Just stir and skim. Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

Based on what Rifleman1776 said about "stir and skim the melted lead frequently", I am going to
look for videos, to specifically see what the visual is, regarding what we SEE when we need to SKIM.

Gosh - casting for round ball is simple - use SOFT lead - you can buy this from Roto-metals. Use enough heat to melt the lead so that when you pour it into your mold it will form a liquid puddle on top of the sprue plate. When it hardens smack open the sprue plate with a plastic mallet or wooden one. Drop the round ball onto a towel that you placed into a cardboard box and repeat until you have enough round balls or run out of lead :thumb: :ThankYou::horseback:

For muzzleloader casting roundballs, or any other soft lead projectile with pure lead, temperature is not important beyond hot enough to get the mold filled out completely.

Where temps become more important is with lead alloys such as wheel weights and linotype. A melt too hot with alloys causes tin and antimony to seperate from the lead. This is fixed by fluxing the pot. (Add a pea sized chunk of Beeswax to the melted surface and let it melt. It will smoke so light the vapors on fire with a match. Stir the pot and scrape the sides of the pot as the flame starts to diminish to release any trapped impurities to the surface. I use an old butter knife to stir and scrape.) With alloys you can maintain a correct temp and less fluxing without messing with a thermometer by just paying attention to how well your mold is casting. If you have to wait for more than a few seconds for your sprue to harden, and if your bullets are coming out frosty, you're too hot. Back your temps down just a little until your sprue hardens quickly, your bullets are nice and shiny, and they fill out completely with crisp sharp edges.

I cast outside only, so I'm at the mercy of ambient temps. Casting in the winter takes a different process of time and temp than casting in the summer. So I just let my molds and my bullets tell me whats right.

Now with pure lead, all that really doesn't matter. I run my pot as hot as it'll go and cast away. My pot will not get hot enough to frost a pure lead roundball, mainly because there's no tin or antimony present, which is what "frosts" in the other scenario.

If my roundball mold gets too hot, as in the sprue takes too long to harden, I have two choices. Slow down my casting rate, or, run another mold into the cadence. That's usually what I do and cast some 255 grain flat nose that my son runs in his Remington 1858 revolver. He likes pure lead and light charges in that.

I still flux the pure lead pot but it's to remove impurities that accumulate. I ladle pour and about half way through a pot the surface of the lead will get looking "dirty". This is from repeatedly dipping the ladle in the melted lead which intruduces oxygen and causes oxidation of the lead. The oxidation is lighter than the lead and some of it becomes trapped below the surface. Fluxing, stirring, and scraping will bring this "dirt" to the surface where I can skim it off with an old spoon.

I usually just cast one pot and I'm done. But, the fluxing/stirring/scraping point is a good point to add more lead and refill the pot if I wanted to cast more. The beginning of each pot needs to be fluxed and cleaned anyway so that's two birds with one stone.

Many of us tend to overthink or over complicate a some what simple process. Melt lead and pour it into a suitable mold. Toy Soldiers, sinkers or bullet molds. Key points, heat the molds as you melt the lead, casting wrinkled, increase heat, frosted casting decrease heat. Leave a small puddle of lead over sprue, as the lead cools it will draw lead from the puddle, no voids or air pockets.
Never plunge room temp implements such as spoons for skimming dross or ladles for pouring. Into the pot of melted lead, small eruptions can occur, lower the implement gradually. Ditto for adding ingots to a partial pot. And keep drinks and other sources of liquids a safe distance from the pot.

I do not have a thermometer but since I usually am casting big round balls or boolits I tend to run pretty hot. This leads to the molds (Lee aluminum) getting pretty hot. So, I run two molds a session. When the puddle on the sprue starts taking too long to cool I dump the ball(s) and set that mold aside (opened) to cool and start in with the other one. I am using lead roof boots salvaged from reroof projects. They are usually free for the asking although I have sometimes swapped ice and Pepsi to hard working, hot roofers.

Only thing I can add that I have not seen mentioned (sorry if I missed it) is to smoke your molds before starting. I used to do it with a lighter or match but have found that just holding the mold over the propane burner seems to do as well.

Back