• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up 1000 Remington No. 11 caps after being unable to find my favored CCI No. 11 magnum caps. Noticed a label on the box that said "New Hotter Cap!". Found this encouraging.

Took them to the range today. Results were both good and bad.

In the 'good' column, they're hot alright. Touched off the Pyrodex RS that had been loaded in my TC Hawken since deer season with NO hesitation. Subsequent Pyrodex RS loads went off with no hint of delay or misfire. As good as the CCI 11M in this regard, maybe better.

In the bad column, the dimensions are off a bit. They don't fit the nipple quite as snuggly as the CCI caps. They went on the nipple a mite too easy; got the feeling they could fall off in the course of a day's hunting, though none did during my range session.

The skirts are longer than the CCIs as well. Not so long that they bottom on the nipple shoulder, but long enough that they tend to jam up my CVA capper. They don't slide up and down the capper like the CCIs do; they have to be forcefully pushed. I loaded 8 in the capper and was glad I didn't load more.

Didn't try my Ted Cash capper, but it looks like that could accommodate a long skirted cap without problems.

Just some quick observations; I didn't get out the micrometer or anything. As always, YMMV.

Yep, those are old stock, probably in green cans. They are longer than the CCI and Winchester caps. The newer Remington caps come in white cans and are shorter.

Third Generation Shooters Supply has old stock #11 caps. They work fine for me but will not fit my cappers.

These are the newest "40% Hotter Flame" or something caps. I have only fired them in one gun and with these nipples anything would be snug. I don't think many have seen, no less used or measured, these newer caps if they had older on hand already... The only capper I use is a green plastic tree and they fit fine.

Remington # 10s are the only ones that fit my ROA nipples.
It seems that there are no size standards among the producers of percussion caps. An 11 CCI is different from a Remington 11. I believe that Winchester caps are made by CCI, therefore, they seem to be interchangeable. RWS are very good caps if you can find them.

I'm having problems with CCI # 11 Magnum caps being to small to fit my nipple. They are to small.
Recall an earlier thread where someone else is having the same problem.
Checked my nipple and it is ok. Gotta be the caps.

The Dixie gun works catalog has a chart in it that gives the exact dimensions for various brands of caps. They vary by a few .001 on length and diameter. :idunno: :idunno:

Short Start

I've had good luck with the Remington caps I've used in the past, good ignition and good fit.

Who's to say?

Rio

Latest posts

Back