• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington 1858

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which company makes (or made if they are out of production) the best (both overall quality of manufacture and historical accuracy) copy of the 1858 Remington? Anything out there similar to the "2nd generation" guns sold by Colt?

Most folks consider Uberti to be the best quality. Cimmaron Uberti's have a great fit & finish. Custom makers I'm not sure about.

Dave

Pietta quality is right up there with Uberti these days. The grips on Piettas are a little thick but that's the only thing.

Haven't seen one yet, but I've heard about plans by USFA (United States Fire Arms) to produce a faithful 1858 Remington New Army reproduction. They will likely be expensive if and when they come to market. Based on their other products it will be on a par with the best Colt reproductions.

Lacking that, about the best you can do is the forged frame Uberti available from Taylor's or a target model Uberti.

Pietta puts their whole works behind what Dixie calls the "Shooters Model". It's dead on down to the dovetailed front sight, progressive rifling, grip shape, etc. Kind'a pricy but it's a dead ringer! :thumbsup:

I like the pietta version. I have two. My older one about 2-3 years old has smaller grips than the new one I just bought.

I have a Pietta and it looks great and shoots great. I have never had a Uberti Remmy to compare it with, but it is tight and solid as well as being a accurate copy of the real deal.

I concur with the other Pietta owners. Real happy with mine. I have heard the "Cimarron" Ubertis are real nice, hand selected production models that are given a little extra care.

since pietta's are cheaper than uberti's... I wouldn't mind a couple of them. I only own one uberti, my first bp revolver. Not sure if I've seen a pietta "in person".
Are there barrel markings on pietta's? One thing I like about my uberti, is that any markings are small and under the loading lever out of sight.

tamara said:
I thought I heard that the Cabela's Remmington 1858s are made by Pietta. Is that correct?
Yes.

tamara said:
If so, are they the same quality?
The same quality as what?
Ubertis? Brand new Piettas are generally considered equivalent to brand new Ubertis in function and reliability, but lacking slightly in fit and finish. Improving steadily, however.
Older Piettas? Brand new Piettas are significantly better in quality than some older ones (late 90's through early 00's).
Other manufacturers? Yes wrt Palmetto, no wrt Pedersoli & Euroarms. The comparison with Pedersoli and Euroarms is based on older guns, however, so it may be much better lately.

Bender said:
since pietta's are cheaper than uberti's...
Pietta guns are less expensive than Uberti, but not necessarily 'cheaper'. They could use better fit and finish but overall are a good value for the money.

Bender said:
Are there barrel markings on pietta's? One thing I like about my uberti, is that any markings are small and under the loading lever out of sight.
Piettta marks may be found on the barrel or the frame, just as Uberti marks are. The position varies from year to year and model to model on both brands.

The above is my opinion, not necessarily fact. Your mileage may vary. :v

By the way, Cabela's is having a sale on their 1858 .44 standard 1858s -- $169.99 in their new Spring catalog. I just got two at @$199.99, dang it. We'll not see Italian revolvers again at these prices unless the euro tanks against the dollar.

Tamara said: I'm interested in the .36 New Army Police.

I've had one for the last couple of years or so. Very accurate once I lightened the trigger pull & got the front sight how I wanted it. From a two-handed bench rest it'll keep a cylinder full of balls in the ten ring of a 25yd ISU (B-19) target.

Pietta marks their barrels with manufacturers marks, country of origin, and the Pietta trademark logo; not with small print in tasteful locations like under the loading lever, but in large print along the sides of the barrel that gives no question as to who made the gun and where. Definitely not at all subtle, and a real illusion-breaker when one is pulled in the middle of a re-enactment. Get the Uberti; not only a better made gun, but closer looking to the original.

Thank you for the info. :) I was just wondering if the Piettas sold through Cabela's are the same quality as new Piettas sold elsewhere. I don't know why, but for some reason I had the impression that the ones sold through Cabelas do not have as good fit and finish. The reason I ask is because I got a $50 Cabela's gift card for Christmas, and I have $40 of Cabela's bucks I can spend.

Forgive me if this goes outside the forum guidelines... I can repost down in Off-Topic. I also want to get a conversion cylinder, but it looks like you need hollow base bullets for the .36 to get any sort of accuracy. I can't find any place that sells blackpowder hollow base cowboy loads in .36. Do you need hollow base for conversion cylinders in all calibers?

I wanted something a little smaller than the .44, but if I'd have to get whole reloading setup going in order to do all I want, maybe I ought to just get the .44. A sale never hurts matters either. :redface:

Tamara, if you want a little smaller gun and don't mind the .44 cal Cabelas sells the '58 Remington with a 5 1/2" barrel also.

tamara said:
I thought I heard that the Cabela's Remmington 1858s are made by Pietta. Is that correct? If so, are they the same quality? I'm interested in the .36 New Army Police.

I ordered a 1858 from Cabelas, now waiting on shipment.

In the past, I was always impressed with Uberti products and had one of their 1858's on order, but have now canceled and switched to a Pietta.

The reason I opted for the Pietta, was after researching the Web and finding that in the last couple of years, Pietta customers as a rule are very satisfied. Seems Pietta has made some major investments in the latest modern tooling technology, resulting in a quantum leap as to quality improvement in their product line & lower costs. I would suspect this is the reason for ease of interchangable spare cylinders (I ordered two) without fitting and are readily available at low cost. I found this was not so with the Uberti.
[url] http://www.cabelas.com/cabela...&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=pietta&noImage=0[/url]

When it arrives, I will judge if the gun lives up to the hype.

Here are Cabelas customer reviews of the 5 1/2" bbl Pietta 1858:[url] http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/reviews.jsp?productid=215506[/url]

Here are more on the standard 8" model: [url] http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/reviews.jsp?productid=210082[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tans, if the '58 you get is any thing like the Target model i got from them a while back i think you will be happy with it. Mine seems well made. Fit and finish are real good. And it is a real good shooter.

Thanks for the info Rebel, I am looking forward to getting it, been a while since I played with cap guns.

Did you get extra cylinders with yours? I looked around for leather belt carriers for them, but nada, guess that will be a future project to make some up.

Do you use a loading stand? I was going to make one up, but heck, the one from Traditions was so cheap, why bother.

123623.jpg

TAN, I think you will most certainly be impressed with your Remmy. I love mine. I got a Pietta target model via Navy Arms. I was blown away by the quality. I still need to dial it in. It is a beautiful beast. Next I gotta try these Lee conicals I just cast for it. :thumbsup:

Back