• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Regrets with L and R lock for Traditions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 301758I did it made the trigger pull heavy then I had Brad at cabin creek fix the lock from L&R , cost me more than the lock (either way it was an improvement over the traditions lock)View attachment 301763IT'S NOT A DROP IN now after this Brad told me he fixes the traditions locks to work as they should for the last 20+ years and it is more cost effective than what I DID . SO if you need a better spark call Brad first might save you

cabin creek (717) 757-5841

I have Brad tune all my locks 6 silers and 1 L&R sticking to silers
He tuned mine...works great.

Many years ago I put an L&R replacement lock on my Traditions Pennsylvania Rifle. The lock is good, but the rifle is a POS. So I gained nothing.
I am acutely aware of everyone’s need to try to stay on a budget when shopping for a decent muzzleloader. The problem is that you (in general terms) limit yourself to purchasing cheaply made imported goods. Even the popular Italian made Ml’s which people love aren’t much better and they are still not inexpensive. I would not have bought an imported firearm period. If I wanted quality I saved and did without to get what I wanted. You have to be disciplined. Every single firearm I own was made in the USA, every part down to the screws and I would not have it any other way. Just saying IYKYK..

everyone needs a starting point and unless you have a mentor in the flintlock world you most likely get the sportsman or box store sales pitch( even cabelas is a box store now) it's a small world of flinters best advise is find a local muzzleloader club and watch/ask a lot of times they are really proud of their Kit and rifle and will share the info . sometimes you might find a great used flint/cap gun to start with the advise you will need. My less than custom came from my good hearted wife and son during covid she understood that I wanted to build a rifle. but didn't know what kind so my son got the word from her and what he could afford sent me a kit (I WOULD HAVE ORDERED A CUSTOM kit) but they ordered the traditions and now my grandsons have a starter rifle .
Some day they will get my Allen Martin or my other custom rifles but NOT to start with boys are hard on things till they understand the value of things
DSC03290.JPG
HERE'S what I made plank to rifle build - HOYT BARREL SILER LOCK AND HOURS OF WOOD WORK
tomsbuild3.JPG

Last edited:
yes live and learn (as long as the wife doesn't find out ) can be costly but my $$$ might save someone else
And who cares if she does. As long as you aren't robbing Peter to pay Paul, the wife should keep her mouth shut.

You think she's going to ask your permission to spend whatever $ amount she wants on what makes her happy? Do it anyway.

never ask permission ask for forgiveness and after nearly 50 yrs cheaper to keep her (instead of breaking in a new one) they may forgive but they never forget

I recently bought a L&R lock for my flintlock traditions woodsman.
The standard stock lock fits the same in any as the same, tried with a buddies lock in my gun, fits where it should be right at the touchhole and centered...
The new L&R lock is about 3/16-1/4" behind the touchhole, As they incorporated a drip edge right around the pan, and well that completely offset the whole lock, not making it not only not drop in but basically a refit.

I havent really dealt with this one too much, Ive been able to make some other fixes work on my gun to the existing lock... but as a good company and making a somewhat acceptable replacement lock, they really messed up on this one...
I'm in Canada, so getting it here cost me total $450. Could have bought another gun.

Latest posts

Back