• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aging a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am exploring ways to 'age' a barrel. I have been using cold browning which I like, but I would like an aged, 'iron grey' steel barrel.
To get that look I probably went about it a much longer, harder process than really needed. It took five days of rusting/removing/carding to get the results I am after.
How I did it was to first round off all the visible sharp corners on my octagon barrel with a file. Then I nicked the surface lightly here and there with the corner of an old file and other things. The final step in preparing the distressed barrel was to sand it down using various grits of sand paper, from 100 down to 220.
Step two was to clean/de-grease the surface thoroughly and plug the muzzle and touch hole. Then I applied cold browning solution. I use the stuff from Dixie because it works very well. After three days of periodic applications the barrel was heavy brown with rust and pitting.
The next thing I did was to slather on Evaporust. I also wrapped the barrel in paper towels and saturated it with more Evaporust, then covered with plastic to prevent evaporation (as per the instructions)
After two days of that mess it was no where near what I wanted, still very rusted and blackened in spots! It didn't dissolve the heavy rust like I hoped, so that meant I had to start attacking at it somewhat gently with assorted 3M pads dabbed in more of the solution. That took easily about 5 hours of work but I could see progress so I had hope and continued working at it. (My fall-back plan was to just re-brown the barrel and forget this idea.)
Finally, when I had the metal an even grey with very nice pickling I washed it down with water, dried it and then rubbed it with a fine 3M pad and lots of white vinegar.
Then more cleaning and a good oiling to stabilize it. I think it looks nice and aged now.
I don't know if this was the best way to approach "aging" a barrel and I would like to know of other's approaches.
Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Barrel 1.jpg
    Barrel 1.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Barrel 3.jpg
    Barrel 3.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Barrel 2.jpg
    Barrel 2.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 61
Looks nice, needs more pitting around the vent. Will you distress the wood?
Yes, the vent area can get some more. I was just happy the barrel as a whole took the treatment.
As for the stock, I wont bang it up but will try to give the wood an aged appearance in some areas. I tried Jim Kibler's bone black, but might get very good results combining darker dyes in accent areas as I stain the Cherry stock. I have to think about the brass also... It's new ground for me.

Latest posts

Back