• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Red Mapel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's sugar maple, which we call hard maple; and red maple. There aren't really different classifications for red maple; and both species vary in their density. I've worked with sugar maple that has soft spots, and red maple that's pretty dense. Red maple is a little harder than walnut, in my experience.

Sugar maple is much better if you're going to do some carving. And, for the figured wood, I've found red maple is easier to get a good contrast with the figure. I build from a blank, and don't do relief carving... and I prefer to use red maple.

The first gun is one I made for my brother, using sugar maple. This piece of wood was very dense... and gave me an education. The second is my personal gun, Miss Sally. I built her six years ago, and used a grade 4 red maple blank. The third is one I finished a year ago, and it also has a grade 5 red maple stock. The last is an early plain gun with a grade 3 red maple stock. I'm currently finishing a gun on which I used tanic acid for the first time. It has a grade 7 sugar maple stock, and I'm pleased with the tanic acid's ability to create a better contrast with the figure.

I don't worry about hardness when it comes to scratches and dents. I take care of my guns, mind them in the field, and don't fall down much. So it's not worth fussing over.
Amazing craftsmanship, thanks for sharing.

Hi,
Red maple has a lot of variation in density. The secret is to handle the blank, if it is heavy, it will probably work out, if light, maybe not. I've used a lot of red maple over the years and it usually doesn't carve that well if you need sharp small details. However, the figure is often more dramatic than sugar or black maple. I would not hesitate to use it for a fairly plain gun but usually not one with a lot of carving details. Here are 2 I did using red maple. I carved both but the first was troublesome.

oSiz3i7.jpg

WCWKRVe.jpg
\
OTRfVTX.jpg

ip9QWFB.jpg

EEEBO6U.jpg

SehkThP.jpg

7J5zoH4.jpg

jJtRGZ1.jpg

dave

Hi,
Red maple has a lot of variation in density. The secret is to handle the blank, if it is heavy, it will probably work out, if light, maybe not. I've used a lot of red maple over the years and it usually doesn't carve that well if you need sharp small details. However, the figure is often more dramatic than sugar or black maple. I would not hesitate to use it for a fairly plain gun but usually not one with a lot of carving details. Here are 2 I did using red maple. I carved both but the first was troublesome.

oSiz3i7.jpg

WCWKRVe.jpg
\
OTRfVTX.jpg

ip9QWFB.jpg

EEEBO6U.jpg

SehkThP.jpg

7J5zoH4.jpg

jJtRGZ1.jpg

dave
I actually saw these two up close at Kempton. Thanks for the information.

I think this is how the hardness scale works out.........Hardest is Chestnut maple , next...Sugar maple, then.....Hard red maple , med. hard red maple , soft red maple. Black maple parallels red maple. , Finally......White maple , it comes from those huge maple trees growing near water , and in damp areas. All can be curly , or plain , or anything in between. The hardest , chestnut maple , can have birds eye , tortoise shell , quilted , and curl , or all in one blank. In a half century , I've seen only a half dozen Chestnut maple stock blanks. Chestnut maple is heavy , dense , beautiful , and miserable to work. I hated buying some , 40 yrs.ago , but I did. Live and learn..
I have never heard of 'chestnut maple', apparently neither has Google. Do you have a reference for this specie? Always looking for a good wood.
Robin

I'm waiting for the red maple in my front yard to mature a bit more to figure all that out. Currently it's about 1" diameter, so it will be a while.
Read an article back in the 70s about kit building. One could get a kit, that all one had to do was sand and finish. To kits that one had to do final fitting. And at last kits for the experienced builder, twenty pounds of pig iron and maple seeds

Latest posts

Back