• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recycling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Revolvers with ham handed chambers modifications, cracked rifle stocks, rusty bores, molds modified to better uses...
Anyone have fun (and hopefully successful) recycling stories to share?

One of my fun guns needed a hollow base mold for paper patching so this round ball mold was modified to suit.
.40 PP Adjustable 1.jpg

Another project is a Jim Dandy .458 bore New Englander that was created from a .54 that TC messed up with a QLA flat bottom counterbore. It may be my all time favorite muzzleloading rifle.
Another is a second hand Pietta 1851 with undersized chambers that got remachined to be a .40 caliber that is now (so far) my favorite revolver. It uses .41" round ball and I'd like to try the Ideal #40143 when I get around to it.
And right now there's a half stock .50 caliber in the rack with a cracked fore end that I'm threatening to turn into a light weight off hand .445" bore hollow base bullet shooter; then I can use the molds I been scavenging for years.

Any how, what have yall been up to?

Another recycle opportunity.
This is the cylinder from a second hand purchase, a .44 Pietta 1858 that someone really botched the job on enlarging the chambers. The dark color inside the chambers isn't shadows but the original blue factory finish. The ligaments are of course thinned a little bit.

poorly reamed chambers.jpg

Maybe an old hollow base .45 mold could be altered to work with 5 out of 6 of the chambers.
May as well fill No.3 with JB Weld!
🤔

reamed dimensions.jpg

Latest posts

Back