• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reboring an antique barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogfood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently acquired an antique percussion rifle of about .36 caliber, maybe a bit smaller. Its barrel is 7/8" across the flats. The bore isn't a sewer pipe, but the rifling looks shot out that I can only barely make it out. There are no legible markings on the lock or barrel to date it, so I don't even know if it's bessemer steel.
With those factors considered, what would the range of calibers be to re-rifle the barrel? I'd definitely be sending it to a gunsmith as that kind of work is beyond my competency.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
dgfd

Having said that the bore is like a sewer pipe, have you actually cleaned it to prove it?

A lot of guns that seem to have bores that are as dead as a dodo can actually be cleaned up - as I've read here many times. Lots of advice on how to do this are just waiting for you to ask for.

Thanks for the ideas and names of smiths, gents. I'll see how it shoots with the present very shallow rifling before sending it out. It definitely needs at least some work done to it, but for reasons both historical and practical, doing the least amount of work to it necessary to get it up and running is the goal.
Here are some pics in case anyone was curious (also posted to the identify subforun because I don't have any real idea what era/school this is from)
PXL_20210625_233449911.jpgPXL_20210625_233419658.jpgPXL_20210625_233353810.jpg

I have a rifle that I thought the rifling was shot out when I got it. I fiddled around with different loads and found out I could hit skeets with it at 50 yards.

I'll call it a ''generic plains gun" post 1840. IIRC, Remington was mass producing cast barrels post 1816, and Bessemer steel didn't exist until 1855+. Those older, wrought iron barrels were plenty good for blackpowder roundball guns.

I'll 2nd Bobby Hoyt for a rebore or reline, and he can let you know the condition of the breech and drum. A rebore would be exactly that, take it out to 40cal or 45cal and rifle. It could be relined where it would be bored out, steel liner inserted, bored and rifled to whatever caliber, smaller or larger than current.

maybe you should shoot it first, you never know it could shoot well as is.

My feelings too.

Hoyt can bore and rifle the existing barrel to a larger caliber if it needs it. He can also install a liner though he would probably only do that to keep the original caliber or make it smaller. Liners are pre-rifled and all that is needed is to bore the barrel to take the liner. He can also inspect the breech plug and repair or replace as needed, same with the drum and nipple.

Willis Boitnot must be a very old man by now He certainly did nice work , And a very fine gentleman. Ide describe the rifle as a' degenerate Hog rifle' but no accounting for taste . You have good advise re trying it first .
Rudyard

Back