• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel rebore or???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Years back, picked up a CVA "Frontier" perc. rifle (kit??) for a song that had been fired, stashed in the corner and never cleaned. ( :() Bore looked like a lave tube. Did the "electrolysis" thing while I was working. Got after it with a scotch brite/emery cloth jig and with some work, it came out pretty good, considering. :rolleyes: (thinking .50 caliber.15/16" across the flats)
Bore is still pretty rough but the outside could be re finished, re blued and polished. Full rib, sights, thimbles and under lug..
Thinking maybe polish/re bore to a smooth bore? Hate the idea of it just sitting, not being used if a little work would bring it back to life?
As rough as the bore is, (no rust, just rough, pitted) I wonder if you could get a patch and ball down the bore without it getting torn? Worth playing with or just use it for show? Opinions please one way or the other. Thanks, Mike.

Andy52 is right, after shipping plus the work a person will have the price of a new barrel. I bought a Renegade last year with a toast barrel and am still looking for a 54 replacement because shipping is a deal breaker.

My main concern would be whether or not he would be willing to de breech it to do the rebore. Maybe he can do it without removing the breech but he did remove them on the three I had done.

My main concern would be whether or not he would be willing to de breech it to do the rebore. Maybe he can do it without removing the breech but he did remove them on the three I had done.
He is willing to do that, he called me not long ago and asked that question. I had sent an original barrel to him for a rebore and he asked if it was alright to pull the breech plug.

Back