• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reasonably Priced

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
Will somebody please define this term for me? I have just had it thrown at me again and I'm honestly baffled by exactly how much a "reasonably priced" gun is.

I think that is in the eye of the buyer, some probably consider it as something that they can afford, I know of some things I think are reasonably priced that I cannot afford, probably lots of scope on this one Mike.

Honestly I think a reasonably priced gun list should go something like this

New:

S Mountain rifle: $800
Pennsylvania/Kentucky: $1500-3000 based on embelishments
Hawkin: $900
fullstock fowler- $1200-2400
blunderbuss: $900
side X side: $1800-3000
swivel breech: $2000

I'd say it depends a lot on who made the gun also because any sxs isn't worth $1,800. I'm getting mine for $430 :grin:.

It's quite simple Mike.

-All of the guns you advertise to sell are reasonably priced.

---All of the guns you think about buying are overpriced.

-----All of the guns you ever sold were under priced.

For things hand made rather than popped out in a factory, I define reasonably priced in terms of a living wage for the man who did the building. If $20 an hour is a reasonable wage for a skilled craftsman, then 10 hours of labor is $200 on top of the parts costs and other business costs like rent, insurance and utilities that are written off to the piece. Make your own adjustments up or down from $20 and hour, and I won't disagree. But there's no sense in a skilled craftsman getting Walmart greeter wages for his work.

Heck I look at the prices being asked and paid for bags and weigh that against the time to produce them. I figure the guy is getting paid about $1.50 an hour. More power to him if he's willing to do it. I'm not. That's why I don't sell bags. I'm proud to give them away, but if I've got 15 hours in one, I'd expect to get paid $300 labor plus parts if I sold it. And I sure couldn't sell any at those prices on today's market! :rotf:

Mike Brooks said:
Will somebody please define this term for me? I have just had it thrown at me again and I'm honestly baffled by exactly how much a "reasonably priced" gun is.

Oh, that's simple.
It's the area between an $80 beater and a $10k+ showpiece. Hope that 'splains it. :wink:

Semisane said:
It's quite simple Mike.

Ain't it the truth??!! :rotf: :rotf:

mazo kid said:
Semisane said:
It's quite simple Mike.

Ain't it the truth??!! :rotf: :rotf:

Works for me, too! :v

If $20 an hour is a reasonable wage for a skilled craftsman, then 10 hours of labor is $200 on top of the parts costs and other business costs like rent, insurance and utilities that are written off to the piece. Make your own adjustments up or down from $20 and hour, and I won't disagree.

A good baseline to start from, I'd say. Most people don't have a clue as to what the overhead is for any self employed person regardless of what the business is. Some self employed people don't even have a clue! :haha:

Something I remembered a guy told me at a gun auction once. "It's what the gun means to you that determines it's worth."

marmotslayer said:
Most people don't have a clue as to what the overhead is for any self employed person regardless of what the business is. Some self employed people don't even have a clue! :haha:

Ain't it the truth. If you don't collect the business overhead along with the wage, you'll be paying it out of the wage. Along with the home costs. :shake:

Ain't it the truth. If you don't collect the business overhead along with the wage, you'll be paying it out of the wage. Along with the home costs.

Yup, wonder how many members of this forum know that health insurance for just two people in the 50+ range can cost $10,000 to 12,000 per year? :shocked2: At ten grand, there's 500 hours at $20 bucks an hour just for that expense. Many non self employed also pay a part of that cost but I doubt if it's that much.

Reasonable? Without first person assurance I wouldn't want to bet the Brooks hourly rate for creating a rifle exceeds burger flippin' minimum wage.

Reasonably priced depends on who is doing the reasoning. :hmm: I always assume that something I want to buy is worth what I am willing to pay. What I want to sell is worth what I will take for it. :idunno: I am always amazed by people who go out and buy something and then ask if they got a good deal. If you think it is a good deal then for you it is a good deal no matter what other people think. :hmm:

A "reasonably priced gun" is one that somebody bought because it was "reasonably priced" to him/her. Definitely can't assign a price tag to a "reasonably priced gun" because it's all in the eye of the beholder. Too many subjective variables, so...a "reasonably priced gun" should be "priceless"......Fred

Reasonably priced would be less than over priced.

It has nothing to do with what anybody can afford.

All guns have a value that the majority agree is fair.

As an example. The TC Hawken is over priced. I'm not sure anybody won't agree with that. So, it doesn't have a reasonable price.

In the world of bamboo rod makers we have rods that are over priced. The same rods that were built before the maker had a reputation were much cheaper. The rods were just as good, but they didn't have a rep yet. They were reasonable priced. As the makers head got bigger. So did the price.

The same thing applies to guns. I refuse to over pay for just a name.

My .02

odd fellow said:
Honestly I think a reasonably priced gun list should go something like this

New:

S Mountain rifle: $800
Pennsylvania/Kentucky: $1500-3000 based on embelishments
Hawkin: $900
fullstock fowler- $1200-2400
blunderbuss: $900
side X side: $1800-3000
swivel breech: $2000

JMO, but these prices are very low I think. You would have a hard time finding just the top quality parts and wood for a Hawken or Southern Mountain rifle for much less than $700 to $800. And that's before the builder has started any real work. And depending on the wood, carving and inlays, it would be easy for a skilled builder to have hours and hours in a fancy Pennsylvania long rifle--it could easily cost twice what you estimate and still be "reasonable," IMO. I don't own a flintlock that expensive, but not because I think it is "unreasonable;" I just can't "justify" it to myself. Unfortunately the money is needed elsewhere...

I agree with you, just remembered the hawken parts cost about the price I said for new, The mountain rifle I was thinking about a poorboy.

My wife and I used to make silver and turquoise jewelry. "Reasonably priced" to the customer would mean giving it away. We had to lower our prices to just above overhead, to make anything, and never got paid for the hours and hours of designing and making the products. We learned that unless you find the "perfect" market, you'll never get your labor back.

Back