• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear Tang Screw Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighole

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm mounting the tang for my PR kit and was wondering what size I should put in for the rear tang screw. My original TC Hawken had #8 wood screws. I got a replacement tang for it and it had holes drilled for #10 screws. Looks like TC puts larger ones in now.

Since I have to drill the hole and need to decide what size to make it, should I make it a #8 or #10 or doesn't it matter.

Thanks

If the tang is drilled to a 10 and countersunk, then a #10 will fill the hole better, giving a more finished appearance.

big,

The tang screw should NOT be a wood screw, rather a machine screw that goes all the way through the wrist and is threaded into the trigger plate.

This actually strengthens the wrist against damage from either recoil, or handling. As well as being much easier to remove and replace as needed without the hole being buggered out with use. :v

Some factory repros do not allow for a through the wrist to trigger plate screw, hence two wood screws are utilized.

Smallpatch said:
big,

The tang screw should NOT be a wood screw, rather a machine screw that goes all the way through the wrist and is threaded into the trigger plate.
The front tang screw is a machine screw that goes thru the stock into the trigger plate as you mention. I'm talking about the rear screw and it has no provision for screwing into anything other than the wood.

IMO, using a wood screw for the rear of the trigger plate should be no problem.

To avoid putting undue stress on the wood in the wrist of the gun, don't forget to predrill for the screw.

Latest posts

Back