• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang screw?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've built about 8 rifles. Kick me now cause I've never installed a tang screw. I always let my trigger gaurd support the trigger bar/plate. There is so much going on in there. The triggers,, breech plug tail end,,lock,,lock screw,,ramrod channel. I'm trying to invision all this and get crazy.
I know not all guns are the same but the best I can figure is the tang screw will start about 1/2 in behind where the tang comes from the back end of the barrel. The tang screw then angles slightly downward and behind the lock bolt on down and goes through the trigger plate about 1/2 in front of the front trigger. I'm using my lancaster build for reference. Barrel pins I finally got figured out on how to drill straight through but the tang bolt makes me nervous. Ok you can kick me some more.lol

On kits all the pins and bolts can be very difficult to drill . With my scratch builds the pins are much easier as the sides are squared up and you can drill them on a drill press . For the tang bolt you can use a drilling apparatus/ jig type thing ... I dont know if you've seen one before , I'll try to explain it ... Basically all it is is a piece of steel or even a bolt that is secured to the table of a drill press . A point is ground on the tip and is secured to the table after it is lined up , tip to tip , with the drill bit . You make them almost touch when the drill handle is pulled down ... With handle let up ....you put the stock.up.on the table , trigger plate hole on the point , drill down half way , pull up on handle ,flip gun over , tip on tang hole now and drill bit down through trigger plate hole , half way down again ....perfect alignment ! ... Might have to use hand drill to run bit through again , to clean up . I dont use one all the but it is handy sometimes so.I made such a drilling apparatus ....if you are interested I can take pics of it tomorrow . Let me know .....

You can also rig up a point to point jig for drilling.

Attachments

• 4A760B3E-A620-4796-BCB1-58B68B13ABEF.jpeg
    4A760B3E-A620-4796-BCB1-58B68B13ABEF.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DBED4EE0-32A9-47EB-8EC8-02D0D863BA15.jpeg
    DBED4EE0-32A9-47EB-8EC8-02D0D863BA15.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Yes Rob M I have seen that jig. I just watched a video a few min ago where a guy drilled for the tang screw with a jig like you describe.
Thankyou for the help.

I have a cross slide vise on my drill press table, I use an arrow field point in my vise as a drilling spike, with the cross-slide vice the tip is very easy to adjust to the right place.

drilling spike.JPG

I've built about 8 rifles. Kick me now cause I've never installed a tang screw. I always let my trigger gaurd support the trigger bar/plate. There is so much going on in there. The triggers,, breech plug tail end,,lock,,lock screw,,ramrod channel. I'm trying to invision all this and get crazy.
I know not all guns are the same but the best I can figure is the tang screw will start about 1/2 in behind where the tang comes from the back end of the barrel. The tang screw then angles slightly downward and behind the lock bolt on down and goes through the trigger plate about 1/2 in front of the front trigger. I'm using my lancaster build for reference. Barrel pins I finally got figured out on how to drill straight through but the tang bolt makes me nervous. Ok you can kick me some more.lol

There’s a few ways to install a tang screw. I use a “U” jig and a point to point jig, the biggest issue with a tang screw is knowing when it’s the appropriate time to drill it. You want to make extra sure the barrel is set correct, lugs are positioned and pinned correctly, A lot can go wrong if you do the tang screw tooo early.

Flinternick, I've learned that alot can go wrong by doing alot if things to early. It sure does make a person think. I measured I don't know how many times and ways for front lock screw and all of a sudden It hit me I was measuring the wrong way. Glad I didn't just go ahead and drill. Interesting hobby for sure. Thanks

My first build has the tang screw only going into the stock. It's an older TVM Lancaster and the half-assed instructions it came with said to do it that way. I've never had issues with this method.

My smoothbore and my .32 caliber both have the tang screw go into the trigger plate. All Ive ever done is draw a straight line on the side of stock from where the tang screw hole is located on the tang, to where its going to go into the trigger platr. I just try to keep my drill parallel to this line. I use a cordless drill and have always hit the mark. It's not that hard to do.

If you do a point to point jig make sure whatever you are using is solid enough to take the weight of the stock and the pressure of the drill press. It needs to be short while still long enough and heavy. A new centerpunch works well and if your drill press table is small enough to get away with it cut it in half to make it shorter and more rigid.

Back