• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sights on smoothbores ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a red devil bass spoon bent it 90 degrees, drilled a hole for the rear tang screw in it. I then filed a V notch in the upright. Works very well, got lucky zeroed about 6 inches high at 50 yards.

Some of the sights seen on trade guns was a flake lifted with a chisel then notched. Boone stuck white paper on his front sight so he could see it as he aged. Adapting your gun in an h c way to make it easier to shoot well should not on the face of it detract from your experince. I put a rear sight on my smoothies. It did noting to tightin the groups, but made it a whole lot easier for me to aim the same way each time.

Hi,
You asked how far back in time rear sights were installed on smoothbore long guns. They were common on civilian smoothbore guns even during the matchlock days. The earliest example for which I have a photo in a book is about 1550. On higher quality guns during the 17th century they were often mounted to the barrel by a band wrapping around the barrel rather than dovetailed into the barrel. The first photo below shows a matchlock petronel from the 16th century, next is French fowler from the mid 17th century, the third is an early 17th century French wheellock, and the last is a gun I built inspired by work done in NW France during the early 17th century.

dave

petronel5_zps4111f93f.jpg

Frenchbacksight1_zps21aea17e.jpg

pierrelebourgeoyswheellock.jpg

earlyfowlersideplate.jpg

Back