• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sights on smoothbores ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandpa Ron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Rather than steal another post I would like to resolve the issue of rear sights on smoothbore trade guns and fowlers.

In that previous post someone questioned my assertion that a number of such guns have been found with rears sights. I particularly admired those brass sights attributed to the Wilson family; a long time supplier of smoothbores to the British.

The first photo below shows two of the sights I was referring to; These were found in 2002 by the State of Florida. They were excavated a site located in the Apalachicola River. I believe they date to 1763. The archeological dig found several of what we now call the Type G barrels and flintlock mechanisms along with some other gun barrels. These barrels had brass back sights and could be identified as R*W (Richard Wilson) manufacture.

The used of this same type sight is also mentioned on page 72 of T. M. Hamilton’s book, Colonial Frontier Guns. Two more of these sights are shown below dating from the 1720’s to perhaps the 1770’s. Again these are Type G trade guns.

How old is the use of sights on smoothbores? That would be anybody’s guess. Referring again to Hamilton’s book; on page 25 he show a gun barrel presumed to be of Dutch manufacture from 1650 or earlier with the remnants of a rear sight.

But what of the French and what we now call the Type C and Type D trade guns? Referring to Kevin Gladysz’s book, The French Trade Gun in North America, rear sight are shown as features in the more elaborate and expensive models. Kevin book pays particular notice to the guns manufactured at the Saint Etienne Factory.

As for the lowly trade gun, we must refer back to page 33 of Hamilton’s book to find a Type C with a rear sight.

Another example of a rear sight is pictured close up, with dimensions, on page 74 of Ryan Gale’s book, For Trade and Treaty. It is on a Wheeler Northwest Gun from the 1814 ”“ 1820 period.

Finally, what of the classic fowling piece; those long barreled, big bore, shoulder arms of Colonial America? For this we must turn to Tom Grinslades’s book, Flintlock Fowlers. This book discusses fowling pieces from 1700 ”“ 1820 mostly of East Coast manufacture. Grinslade provides no description of the few sights that appear in the many pictures of fowlers presented. It does however show that, though rare, rear sights were present on fowling pieces.

From the above I believe it is safe to say that a rear sight, though rare, is indeed well documented.

Because it was not very common, those who compete with smoothbores chose to use the more traditional “no rear sight above the plain of the barrel” rule.

There, anyone that has the ability to think should figure out they had sights, stock or added. NMLRA is not always right.
Nit Wit

GREAT Post!! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

The excavated sights are especially intriguing as they are shown close up and from the top. It is fairly evident they filed the sights to make up for right/left windage variations and THAT is really interesting to me.

I concur with the NMLRA rules for the Northwest Trade Gun match having no rear sight, because as you mentioned rear sights were rare. HOWEVER,
information like this just might get a "Trade Gun/Fowling Piece with Rear Sight Match" going for the Primitive Range at least.

Gus

i have always wondered myself about rear sights. i made a very simple one that is held on by the tang screw 25 years ago for my trade gun. i would have thought after several misses and not coming home with food, that someone would have put something on their guns to more accurate. it only makes good sense to me.

You bet Grandpa Ron, Wilson put rear sights on the smooth bored guns they made for the trade. It's the Type G as we know them, as identified by Hamilton to make sense of parts found at various digs. Some also refer to teh type as an "early" English trade gun. But rear sights wee installed adn a couple modern makers are making exacting copies of the style with teh same shaped sights!

Good documentation. I guess that for me, I never questioned whether rear sights existed on trade guns etc. I always assumed that they probably did. I can't see a rear sight anyway so never worried it. That is why I started shooting trade guns instead of riffles :rotf:

No Deer.

I know exactly what you mean. :grin:

You klnow you are in trouble when both the front and rear sight are getting blurry. :rotf:

Thanks for posting this and especially the photos. Those are great looking sights.

My NW Trade rifle was made with a long screw on the front tang that kind of worked as a sight. I filed it off as it was more hindrance than help. I think a sight like you show would look good and work well. I use the smoothbore for Turkey mostly where a sight isn't necessary but this would let me use it for deer season as well.

HC/PC or not, I am a supporter of rear sights on a smoothbore. This target was shot at 75yds with my Mike Lange .58 fowler. Can someone do that with just a front sight?? I know I can't.
ACB4ECD1-D03F-460F-B5E9-26ACF7889EE6.jpg

Back when I was a kid, in the 50s, I had a Red Rider BB gun that shot with about a foot to the left arcing slice at 25 yards. I lived with that gun, often shot it all day long. No bird was safe out to 40yards, I took mostly head shots, I didn't use the sights.

If I shot my smoothie on a regular basis like I did my BB gun I wouldn't need a rear sight and probably not a front one. I suspect the people who came before us were so in tune to their guns that hitting what they were looking at was second nature to them, they didn't need a rear sight.

Grandpa: Thanks for Posting those rear sights as well as the information. Very interesting.
i would think the rear sight would be an aid while shooting round ball, but not so with shot. Guess it's a matter of aiming vs pointing.
It's interesting to note that the early matchlocks all seem to be provided with a rear sight, although positioned fer to the rear of the barrel, almost to the breech plug. :hmm:

Eric Krewson said:
Back when I was a kid, in the 50s, I had a Red Rider BB gun that shot with about a foot to the left arcing slice at 25 yards. I lived with that gun, often shot it all day long. No bird was safe out to 40yards, I took mostly head shots, I didn't use the sights.

I think sights are good, but like Eric I learned to shoot without them.

I am an instinct shooter”¦..”¦ That likes sights”¦.. Whether I use them or not.

William Alexander

HEAD shot birds 40 YDS with a red Ryder? :bow: I could never get mine to group well enough for even ten yds :shocked2: My crossman though....no problem. :eek:ff

Greg,

You are correct in that adding a rear sight my seem like a moot point to some, after all; if you want one add it, if you not do not want one, do not add one.

However for some the use of a rear sight detracts from the reason they took up the muzzle loading challenge in the first place. Using the firearms within it historic limits is part of the attraction of shooting them.

For example you could mount a historically correct scope on a long rifle, but to many it would lose its charm and be looked at as one step below a scope mounted inline.

Many times the challenge is more important than the score.

Fortunately, it is the muzzleloader shooter who can decide what modification they need or want. This includes adding a rear sight to a smoothie or a variable power scope to an inline.

There are few wrong answers when personalizing a gun, though there are rule and regulations when entering the competitive shooting world.

Latest posts

Back