• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sights for smoothies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at adding a very small, low-profile rear sight to a side-by-side. Guess I could simply file one out, but does anyone know of a ready-made article? Checked Track and Dixie and did not see what I am looking for.

SXS ? well could you get--or make a site with a little longer front piece and drill and tap the rib? usually rib is thick enough to get 3-4 threads I believe....Tom

Is replacing the tang screw an option? A larger headed tang screw makes a pretty good rear sight.

looks like a dovetail base that may work. Too bad there is not a side shot showing if it is a female portion of the dovetail.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Or...678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4869925b86

when I decided to add a rear sight on my smoothie that has a round barrel, I lucked out and found a solder on base made for a round barrel on e-bay. The only other one I have seen besides this one was on Brownels site. Of course a tall rear sight will require you to adjust/change the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made one from a strip of 1/16 Inch brass from the hardware store. I wanted one I could add and remove easily; since I shoot in smoothbore competitions that require no rear sight.

To match the point of aim of my front sight with no rear sight, I had to make it less than 3/16 of an inch tall, about .150 inches or so.

I annealed the brass strip by heating it red hot where I wanted it to bend and quenched it. I cut a groove in the inside curve of the bend, then bent it 90 degrees. The smallest saw I had for the sight notch was 1/32” but a .020” would have been better. I glued the “L” shaped sight to the barrel at the flat to round transition.

So far I can say it cut my group size in half but I am still getting used to it.

If I were to use a dovetailed sight for a more permanent installation, I would buy one and trim it to fit.

Cutting a notch yes BUT rear site like rifle just get a rifle
Just my 2 cents

I use Super glue not epoxy because it dries fast. It is however not as strong as epoxy which is fine, because it is only a temporary. When I am in a real hurry, I have use masking tape to hold it in place.

All of this sounds and of course look kind of hokey but I use it when working up a new load and I want to reduce the problem of mounting the stock exactly the same way when shooting from the bench.

I like the ball to hit point of aim (POA) with or without a rear sight, so for my gun the rear sight has to be rather low. I cannot find a commercially made sight that sits low enough because of the dove tail base. Therefore it is easy enough to just make one.

With ageing eyes it is sometime easier to shoot without a fuzzy rear sight, but from the bench I can take more time to concentrate on the shot.

As an aside, I have found that three shots make a group, five shots make a better group and eight shots tell you where you are really hitting. :wink:

I have shot any number of nice looking three shot groups, but eight shots seems to be a more accurate picture of what the gun and I can do.

Back