• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight placement?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd411111

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TVM Fowler and thinking about adding a rear sight. I bought one from TOW and lashed it on with some small leather cord and it has definitely helped my groups. I've tried it at different locations and at my age,58,it's clearest father down the barrel right where the octagon portion ends. My question is,what effect does it have on shooting with the sight that much farther from its normal location? By the way,it's a 42 inch barrel.

If the new post on improves your groups, then you have come across a positive effect.

The effect will most pronounced for shooting round ball. Not necessarily so much of an improvement for shot.

I ordered my smoothbore and had a rear sight request on that order. I had it out near the end of the octagon flat. It makes shooting ball as easy as shooting a rifle. A friend bought one years ago and added a rear sight himself. We both are successful on targets and deer. The sight even works for shot.

It makes it a lot easier for me. I put mine about two inches behind the change to half round. In retrospect I wish I would have placed it farther back. I don't shoot the flying with it it's good for tree rats and bunnies with shot and babies with ball.

jd411111 said:
I've tried it at different locations and at my age,58,it's clearest father down the barrel right where the octagon portion ends.
I have rear sights that are from 8" to 11" in front of the breech, and they all work well, no difference between them. When I'm doing as I should in sighting, it makes no difference how far down the barrel the rear sight is, because I'm focused on the front sight and only the front sight. The rear sight and the target are out of focus, a bit blurry, but that's no problem, it's as is should be. Having the rear sight in the position on the barrel where you can focus on it clearly is not part of the set up.

Spence

Thanks all! I just didn't know if a shorter scale between front and rear sight might be more sensitive to side to side natural body movement but looks like it makes no difference. I have a friend that can dovetail it in when I get ready to have it mounted.

Part of the equation should be where the piece has a natural point of balance, since that's the natural place for you to hold the gun or rifle when walking, and often folks put the sight where it will hit the palm of the holder's hand when moving it forward or backward about 3" would avoid that.

The distance between the front and rear sight does make a bit of a difference to the human eye..., but that's also a function of the height and width of the front sight and the size and shape of the rear sight opening.

I like to put a rear peep sight on mine at the tang screw, since it's easy to remove if I need it gone.

LD

I super glued and taped mine where the flats meet the round barrel at the wedding rings.

I did not have a curved base sight or I could have moved up the barrel.

Remember even if you are halfway up the 42 inch barrel, you still have a longer sigh radius than many half stocks.

At my age, beyond a certain point makes no difference. The flat to round area seems to work as well as any sight location.

Latest posts

Back