• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rear sight on turkey gun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just completed a Fowler for Turkey season. It has a colerain Turkey barrel, and I hope it is a Turkey killing machine. What sight would you put on a Turkey gun a peep sight or just a rear sight.

I vote peep sight on the tang...
You'll be glad you put a rear sight on the turkey choke barrel..They throw a tight pattern.
The peep will allow you to see more of your target.

My gun shoots a tight pattern and I wanted a rear sight as well so I could be sure where I was aiming in the "heat of the battle" when I turkey walks up.

I went with a conventional style I made from a piece of angle iron. I shoot round balls from my gun as well and a rear sight is a comfort for my ageing eyes.

I agree. Some old smoothies were made with rear sights, some had them added. Won't make em shoot better, but makes it easier to sight...espesily in the 'heat of battle' . I shoot with a traditional v type rear over a peep.

I think, if the gun is only to be used for turkeys, I would go with a sight like Eric's. But, I would file a really wide V shaped notch in it. Almost an "express" sight V but not quite as shallow. It's quick, can be used for precision by taking a bit more time with a little practice, and allows for a more open field of vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probably go with a wide v notch, because your shots will be close, and most likely in low light. In my turkey hunting experience, the shooting has been right after sun up. If you go with a peep, I would go with a larger hole, like a ghost ring. It will be plenty accurate for close range.

Latest posts

Back