• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight on a Tulle....yes or No ? Thanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A type "G" or Carolina gun's rear sight is about 1 1/2" from the breech. I suppose if you were young you might be able to see it. I can't, it's just a big blurry blob.
I have seen hundreds of original smooth bored guns with an "after market" rear sight. They were quite common.
Yep, seems the old timers sure liked to have the rear sight "too far" back. Drives me nutz on my minie' ball, rifle-muskets/civil war type rifles. I've had to either make them into peep sights, (by drilling a hole in the 300 yard leaf) or mount a sight further towards the muzzle, in order to shoot them. !!!

In Colonial Frontier guns, the French guns that Hamilton classified as Type "C" has a brass rear sight. The English type "G" or Carolina guns also has a rear sight......In both examples the rear sight is set back not far from the breech. I copied an original Carolina gun sight found at Fort Toulouse. If I were going to put a sight on a Fusil de Chasse I would pattern that type C sight......btw way...the dove tail on those things is shallow
David
Thank you. Appreciate the pictures and info.

The rear sight should be a bit out of focus. Front sight, front sight, Front Site.

Back