• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Really?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a rural area. You will see lots of older machinery working on farms. Often as not replacement parts are fabricated. The population of welders, blacksmiths, machinists and jacks-of-all-trades is healthy.
Modern machine shop up in town likely will not want to make one screw for your lock. The retired machinist will do it for fun.
On the other hand, it pays to not insult them and think that their time is worth nothing. Speaking as a retired toolmaker/engineer/gunsmith

Set your price and make them an offer, too many people nowadays pay without haggling.

This is the way I conduct my ebay sales. If you want to pay the buy-it-now price, by all means, pay it. But if you want the best price, throw in on the auction OR make me an offer.

I do the same thing on my trade blanket. You CAN pay sticker price, or we can talk about what you think my products are worth then come to an agreement. Too many folks don't even want to try these days.

A bladesmith friend of mine makes "kids knives" to teach youngsters about the idea of value and a fair price. In stead of slapping Dad's hundred dollar bill down, my friend requires there to be a dialog about the value of the knife and the price they are willing to pay. He usually lets them go for 5 or 10 bucks because the process is more valuable to him than the time it took to make the knife.

I end my ramble here.

RM

This is the way I conduct my ebay sales. If you want to pay the buy-it-now price, by all means, pay it. But if you want the best price, throw in on the auction OR make me an offer.

I do the same thing on my trade blanket. You CAN pay sticker price, or we can talk about what you think my products are worth then come to an agreement. Too many folks don't even want to try these days.

A bladesmith friend of mine makes "kids knives" to teach youngsters about the idea of value and a fair price. In stead of slapping Dad's hundred dollar bill down, my friend requires there to be a dialog about the value of the knife and the price they are willing to pay. He usually lets them go for 5 or 10 bucks because the process is more valuable to him than the time it took to make the knife.

I end my ramble here.

RM

Good outline mate.

Even TOW sells a Davis set trigger screw for $6, they cost $7 a hundred if you buy them on line. I bought a NOS Davis trigger for my latest build and found someone at the factory had cross threaded the adjustment screw stripping the threads in the process.

Davis locks and triggers was bought out by The Log Cabin shop, a call to them and they quickly sent me not one but three screws for free, great customer service!

I suspect the quality of Davis locks has just taken a giant leap to the good.

Spent several decades in wholesale seafood. Price haggling occupied a lot of every day. The boat always thought the fish was worth more than the dock was paying. The dock always thought it was worth more than we paid. Our customer always thought it was worth less than we demanded.

The sign over my desk read: "Price. Quality. Service. Pick any two."

I end my ramble here.

RM
Your friends jib, I admire the cut of it…

Was looking for a T/C Tang on eBay and found this. Good God.

Attachments

• rip off.jpg
    rip off.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 28
Close friend works ebay. She runs several posts for essentially the same item described
differently. She asks 3 to 4 times what she needs to bust out. Tells me she often sells
the high priced one because people think it is worth more BECAUSE SHE IS ASKING
MORE. Crazy psychology people buy into.

That’s why I call it Evil Bay. I just force myself to walk away from the screen. And keep on looking and most times you will find it someplace else and cheaper even sometimes in better condition. Or they realize no one is buying and then lower the price. Some 8 years back in a thrift store I saw a double barreled PC shotgun with a cracked stock and a small 410 PC ball shotgun in rough but complete fair condition and an unusual duck bill carved in the stock. The lady would not budge on both. I drooled and salivated but walked away. Almost 2 years later we found our way back to that same store. The double barrel was gone but the smaller one was still there. I calmly inquired it came way down in price. (Way way down) $75 bucks!! Wife looked over and gave the green light. It’s a late 1800’s small game musket made in Spain imported to Mexico aka “Monkey Gun” it was a wall hanger until the ammo shortage. Figured why not. Did all the checks and she fires .375 round ball. Pretty cool little rifle. Actually I will be posting up shots I’m still trying to iron out the history of it and someone on this site may know.

So you never know items may come down or you’ll find it elsewhere cheaper and better. Best of luck on your quest, throw out an offer and then keep on searching elsewhere

Back