• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"REAL" Black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used Pyrodex Rs in my cap locks with good results, until the temp drops below -20. That is when the real black powder shines. I tried 777 and found it was a brute to clean the crud ring out. I ended up giving 3/4 of a can to a friend, and am now switching over to Graff FFF in both of our caplocks. I find the clean up for real black is far quicker, than with any of the subs I have tried.

I remember when Pyrodex first hit the market. I figured it had to be "better" than black powder, being new and improved and all that. I shot it exclusively for several years, then came to the realization that black powder is superior in a number of ways. It's more powerful, more accurate, fouls less, is less corrosive and it lights easier, reducing hangfires. I'll never for the life of me, understand how Pyrodex has managed to stay around so long.

Plink said:
"...I'll never for the life of me, understand how Pyrodex has managed to stay around so long..."
I think it's because of newbies...I...like you...started out with Pyrodex 'cause it was all I knew about...and frankly, it served me very well in terms of getting done what I wanted to do...plink and deer hunt...but then we found out about Goex, made the switch and we never go back to a sub

It's mostly because Walmart can sell Pyrodex without any "special" lic. or storage. It's a "Flamable solid" where as the real deal Black powder is classified as an "explosive" so you've got to have a safe to store it in, ect. I think this is why there's such an influx of, dare I say the word, inlines, into muzzleloading. That's all the customer is offered at the local retail store so that's all he can choose from. If Walmart, et al, would offer flintlocks and more sidelocks I'd bet that more people would buy em' but you can't buy what they don't sell. :hmm:

That kind of poses an interesting question, doesn't it?

Would throwing a one pound can of pyrodex into a campfire cause less of a response than a one pound can of Goex?

Is it really "Safer"?

roundball said:
I'd predict that if you ever shot a can of Goex, you'd never bother with substitute powders again
I agree.... :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
snake-eyes

50 cal Frank said:

Would throwing a one pound can of pyrodex into a campfire cause less of a response than a one pound can of Goex?

Is it really "Safer"?
Throwing them into a fire is different from asking it it's safer...the BP subs are "safer" with regard to their higher ignition point...requiring a much higher temperature ignition source to ignite them than real BP does...which is why they're classified as they are and can sit out in the open on Walmart store shelves...and is the same reason there's such an endless series of experimentations with hotter and hotter ignition design changes in rifles that are intended to use the BP subs, to try and get the stuff to go off reliably, etc

50 cal Frank said:

Is it really "Safer"?

Never took a match to either one -- but I think just the blackpowder is rated as an explosive.

snake-eyes said:
roundball said:
I'd predict that if you ever shot a can of Goex, you'd never bother with substitute powders again
I agree.... :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
snake-eyes
Now what would be more interesting...

Shoot a can of Goex and a can of Sub... with tracers. :shocked2: :youcrazy: :grin:

Should be telling. :rotf:

Snuffy said:
I found a friend in Schuetzen FFF. Seems to have softer fouling than Goex. I never could get Swiss FFF to work. Perhaps I should of purchased the FF instead.

Maybe I'll try that one next trip there to Kenochee Trading Post! :hmm: :hmm:

I use 1.5F in my .54 Late Lancaster.

Jon

Back in the '80's, when I was younger and more foolish, I shot a can of Goex with .223 tracers. It didn't go off. It just scattered powder all over the place. Shot the can several times.

I agree with all of the "good ink" that the other posters have to say about real black powder. I would like to add that black powder has been around for hundreds of years, and is still going strong. I have yet to see a better substitute. :grin:

Back