• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Real Black Powder in East Tennessee?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkybond007

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m having a hard time locating real black powder in East Tennessee near Knoxville. I would prefer to buy in person to avoid paying the high hazmat fee.

I’ve tried the Bass Pro in Sevierville, but the 2 employees I talked to at the gun counter seemed to think that they only carried substitutes.

Does anyone know where I could get some close to Knoxville?

No.
Your best bet is to order 10 lbs. to make the hazmat fee more acceptable per pound. Plenty of threads on here show shooters are scrambling for any powder they can get. It wont get any better for a while so grab it and be glad you did. Next month you may not even find what you see today.
Try Travelers in Texas. Good folks, low prices, fast shipping, and its in stock. At least for now.

@Sparkybond007 I ran into the same issue. You can forget finding it locally. I checked everywhere. There are no local clubs that I can find that would make it easier. I said to heck with it and just went with Pyrodex. Shoots good and reliable for me and is much easier to come by. If you gotta have real black your best option is ordering it as Ames suggested above.

I have looked in east Tennessee for muzzle loading supplies too and have found nothing outside of some round ball at Cabellas/BassShop. Anything available near Ashville or Bristol?

I ordered a case of Goex from Coonies in May at 22.04 a pound delivered. NMLRA sells powder to members at the spring and fall shoots, but you have to go to Friendship, Indiana to get it. No idea what the cost per pound is or if there is a limit. I hope to be moved by then and can go to the shoots to compete, and buy some needed plunder.

I have looked in east Tennessee for muzzle loading supplies too and have found nothing outside of some round ball at Cabellas/BassShop. Anything available near Ashville or Bristol?

I ordered a case of Goex from Coonies in May at 22.04 a pound delivered. NMLRA sells powder to members at the spring and fall shoots, but you have to go to Friendship, Indiana to get it. No idea what the cost per pound is or if there is a limit. I hope to be moved by then and can go to the shoots to compete, and buy some needed plunder.

How often you in Asheville brother?

I bought 10# from Crater Fireworks, Blasting and Black Powder, it ended up costing $30 a pound to my door but this was cheaper than taking a road trip to find some. They seemed to be well stocked. The were low on Goex, which was what I bought, but had plenty of Shutzen and Swiss.

Hearthstone Guns in Greeneville if you're up for a road trip. About an hour & a half up I-81 from Knoxville
I’ll actually be heading up to Greeneville this weekend to visit family. I may just have to stop by there. How are their prices?

Frontier Firearms in Kingston has loads of BP supplies and accessories including flints.

I was able to get some Schuetzen from my local distributor. I think the closest one to you is in Bardstown KY, which is 3 1/2 hours from Knoxville and I can’t say what their inventory looks like, but if you and a few friends want to make a road trip, it might be worth it depending on how desperate you are and availability.

From Goex distributors web site.

375910A8-74CE-4C0E-BDB6-F82DF13091B7.jpeg

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back