• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC Hawken stock re-finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tru-oil is not a wood sealer although you can make it seal the pores if you apply it with a piece of red scotchbright pad and rub it in, the small amount of dust produced will fill the pores when mixed with the finish. This is the way most of the very good builders seal walnut.

I used Birchwood Casey walnut stock sealer on my three walnut stocked guns. you apply it and sand it back to bare wood and repeat until the pores are well sealed.

Go to 30 minutes on this video, the lady is doing maple but the same works on walnut. Wipe off any excess finish between coats.

Last edited:
This is the sealer followed by 4 or 5 thin coats of Tru-oil, makes for a very slick finish.
TC lock.JPG

Well gents, I think this stock is about where I like it. It has one coat of full strength Birchwood Casey walnut stain and 6 coats of Tru-oil with 24 hours cure time and a light once over of 0000 steel wool between each coat. These pics were just taken outside and they show it to be a little lighter in color and shinier than it is in the hand. Guess that's the limitations of a phone camera. Being the Winchester fanatic that I am, I do like the hint of red that it has, like an old Winchester. 🙂
IMG_20220319_135329931.jpg
IMG_20220319_135341981.jpg

Thank you for the kind words 🙂

Now to take this thing out and shoot it for the first time. As soon as the weather and my schedule line up, I have some serious range time I want to put in.

Sounds like nasty stuff 🤨

Often times "nasty" stuff is just lawyered up because some humans have a tough time walking on their hind legs and can't figure out that hot coffee is indeed hot.

Use that stuff outside, wear gloves, wear old clothes, and above all use the common sense the Good Lord gave ya.......

Back