• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RE Davis locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tenngun,
So view the link I posted in Rudyard's post and tell me you think the issues I raised are OK and acceptable? Chambers takes care of those issues for just a few dollars more. What is wrong with L&R that they cannot do the same?

dave

When I evaluate a new lock and it performs poorly I try to figure out if it’s bad design or issues with assembly or hardening and tempering. It’s not unusual for lock “manufacturers” to out-source assembly. When it is bad design I wonder if the manufacturer/seller have ever shot a flintlock. Or more particularly, theirs.
Weak springs, frizzens that rebound or won’t flip over, sear arms with quite different resting places on half or full cock, cocks that don’t point the flint into the pan, sear spring working arms too short or too long… seen them all. That’s leaving out hardening and tempering issues.

Guy's thank you for all the comments. I selected the Davis contract rifle locks for their plain look. They are just what I need for a couple of fairly plain rifles, a very poor boy copy of an Adam Angstadt rifle, and my interpretation of the 1792 contract rifles. I also thought they'd be good quality at a very reasonable price. They have the appearance of quality locks. The springs just seem awfully strong, but my experience with flinters is limited.

Dave Person, I had your comments on spring tension found here in mind.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...to-snap-open-the-frizzen.116209/#post-1589319The springs on my locks seem a lot heavier than what you go for.

Last edited:
Hi Tenngun,
So view the link I posted in Rudyard's post and tell me you think the issues I raised are OK and acceptable? Chambers takes care of those issues for just a few dollars more. What is wrong with L&R that they cannot do the same?

dave
My lt was in the 1970s and had it on that gun up to the 90s. I have heard others say there quality went south, but all I know is the lock I had from them was top knotch. As far as I know it’s still making smoke.

Have a .60 caliber J.E. brown, Jr. jaeger from the early '80s with a Davis lock. Mainspring is seriously stressed. Keep a spare in the patchbox. Otherwise a superb lock.

Like Dave, I won’t even use an L&R lock unless there is nothing else available.
I’ve even had trouble with percussion locks. Had to,replace the mainspring 3 times to,get one that would pop a cap consistently.

I couldn't get the CLA post ,Like I say I havn't bought any locks new for twenty years , I had no problems with L&R If its changed hands I wasn't aware
. Rudyard

Back