• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-creating an early longrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a sweet-looking rifle!
And if you will pardon my ignorance... I see what looks to me to be a swivel for a sling or carry strap to the rear of the trigger guard, but no means to attach the front. I have seen old military rifles with slings, but not on a hunting gun of that era.
Could you share some detail on the use of this, and how common it was for hunters/ explorers in those days to use a carry strap? Or am I mistaken as to the use of the swivel? I am pretty much a neophyte when it comes to arms of that era.

There are plenty of early rifles with sling swivel holes in the guard. I know of no early colonial-built rifles with swivels still on them except RCA 19. It does not have a front swivel and I do not see evidence in the photos of a hole in the forearm large enough to hold a swivel bolt. It could be there. I'd say we have insufficient data to draw any conclusions about the use of slings. I'm not ready to put a front swivel on it yet as the rifle I made is a close copy. Weird approach, I know. :youcrazy:

I often wondered about never seeing any kind of strap on longrifles and such in old pictures. Growing up hunting in the northeast, I know how handy it is to be able to throw your rifle over your shoulder to have an extra hand to climb a tree, or a ledge, or drag out a deer, etc. I supposed in those days they had an extra thong in their bag to tie on for such purposes.

The original no. 19 gun does have a sling swivel on it, but I have not seen many other early rifles with them. Some say it is an indication of military service. Obviously many early military muskets did have sling swivels on them. But other early rifles with documented early military usage do not have them.

My guess is that it almost always would be preferable to have your rifle in your hands unless engaging in hand-to-hand combat. In that situation, it might be awkward to sling your rifle on your back. It might be better to drop it to the ground or to keep it in your non dominant hand and use it as a club/shield. But, I suppose that if you were marching with an army, there would be less concern about having your rifle in your hand, and you would be more comfortable in wearing it across your back. Just my best guess. I know there are conflicting opinions on this.

Weren't they just following the example of the Jaeger rifles? There are plenty of them with sling swivels.

I like it. It would have been a very useful gun in it's day. And how coincidental that the original's owner is member here. :thumbsup: GW

Could be. The no. 19 rifle is considered a "transitional" rifle - from the German Jaeger school to the American version of the rifle. Coincidentally, another rifle has recently been found out in Missouri which is very similar to the no. 19 rifle and appears to be made by the same hand. I can't remember whether or not it has a sling swivel on it. Both rifles will be on display at a major show in the near future. I will try to post that information when I find out the details.

Also, with guns of that age, it is difficult to tell whether the sling swivels were original to the gun, or whether they were added at some point.

Keeping up the standard Rich, as always!! A very beautiful piece of early Americana. Perhaps you will get a chance to see your work next to the original one day...........

Tatonka said:
Coincidentally, another rifle has recently been found out in Missouri which is very similar to the no. 19 rifle and appears to be made by the same hand. I can't remember whether or not it has a sling swivel on it. Both rifles will be on display at a major show in the near future. I will try to post that information when I find out the details.
quote]

Shoot me a PM, please, when you find out more info as I'd hate to miss it.

Back