• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-Bore a Pedersoli Kentucky Smooth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a newish Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle in .50 Flint with its 1:48 twist. I don't really have a need for it since I have a couple of percussion guns in .50. But I bought it as a learning tool. On that point, I'm still learning...

So I've been kicking around the idea of having it re-bored out to .54 or .58 smooth -- as big as I can get it. That would help to fill a void in my quiver of a legit shotgun. The stock might need to be cut more square at the butt as that crescent moon shaped butt is more difficult to mount quickly if wing shooting. The intent would be to use it for general small game, turkey and maybe some occasional waterfowl like teal & coots. How bad an idea is this? Talk me down. Should I just be getting a fowler instead of making this one into a fowler of sorts?

For context, I tend to get rid of things I don't use. So I like to ponder things a bit, including what I might get rid of, if I'm acquiring something new vs adapting something I already have.

@Nuthatch, sell the Pedersoli and as @excess650 suggests, get a Fowling gun with a bore gauge that offers more options than a 58 smooth, weighs less, fits to the shoulder better and sunk cost will be lower. The modified Pedersoli will depreciate in value while a Fowling gun will retain value.

Calm down there babaloo! I agree with the other guys here, resell it and start looking for a legit smoothbore.

I agree with the above posts. Fowlers are better than any "modified" rifle....and cheaper, too.

I also have a 50 cal. Pedersoli Kentucky flint rifle. They are pretty lightweight and handle nicely. Since I live in PA where the brush is thick, and for the most part you can't see beyond 50 yds. I have considered having my barrel reamed smooth. I can then use it for small game and deer. Take a look at Brit Smoothie, the gun in his picture sure looks like a Pedersoli Kentucky. He seems to do pretty good with it in 45 cal.!

I recently picked up a newish Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle in .50 Flint with its 1:48 twist. I don't really have a need for it since I have a couple of percussion guns in .50. But I bought it as a learning tool. On that point, I'm still learning...

So I've been kicking around the idea of having it re-bored out to .54 or .58 smooth -- as big as I can get it. That would help to fill a void in my quiver of a legit shotgun. The stock might need to be cut more square at the butt as that crescent moon shaped butt is more difficult to mount quickly if wing shooting. The intent would be to use it for general small game, turkey and maybe some occasional waterfowl like teal & coots. How bad an idea is this? Talk me down. Should I just be getting a fowler instead of making this one into a fowler of sorts?

For context, I tend to get rid of things I don't use. So I like to ponder things a bit, including what I might get rid of, if I'm acquiring something new vs adapting something I already have.
Yes, it seems like the Italians have a knack for of picking rifles with some of the most difficult to shoot stock profiles to copy. Comes from the Italians not being a shooting culture so that they would know better.

Latest posts

Back