• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report w/Circle Fly Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HistoryBuff

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to the range this past Saturday to try my new Circle Fly wads with the 20ga. I soaked the wads in olive oil overnight and tried three shots into cardboard. That's all I could really get on that range. I used 1 1/8 oz of #4 shot. I loaded with 80 grains of Goex FFg, over-powder card, 1/2 inch wad, shot and over-shot card. At a range of about 30ft, I got a 30" pattern with a big blank spot at the point of aim. I tried this twice. Then I fired with the same load but no wad and got a tighter pattern with no void. Next time, I may try a 1/4 inch wad and see what happens.

I also tried some .595 round balls from TOW. I forget the brand now. They were hand cast with a little sprue on them. I loaded with the sprue up and found them much easier to load than the .600 swaged balls I've been shooting. I need to use a short starter with the .600s. I load both with a .010 linen patch. However, I believe the .600s are more accurate. Then again, it might be me. I'll have to experiment more.

HistoryBuff

I always split the cushion wads in half. Also, try your .600 ball with no patch. Powder, overpowder wad, half a lubed cushion wad, ball, overshot wad. I seat the overpowder wad on the powder then start a cushion wad just below the muzzle and set the ball on it sprue up then start an overshot card and seat. My smoothbore is about as accurate this way as with a patched ball. A .600 ball is tight in my bore too unless i use a real thin patch.

Back