• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report - .28ga smoothbore Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
50 shot range session
Thompson Center Hawken Flintlock
.28ga GM Flint smoothbore drop-in barrel
80grns Goex 3F
.022" T/C pillow ticking
Hornady .520"
Knapped the Fuller black English flint every 12-15 shots
Wet patch / dry patch / lube patch after every shot
Ignition was perfect every shot
As always the patent breech worked as advertised
1.25" groups at 25 yards sitting down, leaning against a support like it was a tree

Can't beat the confidence of shooting / hunting a 100% reliable, fast Flintlock...now the hard part...finding / getting a longbeard in range

It's gotta feel good to get back shoot'n again! wouldn't your 40 cal do the job? Just wondering out loud.

I would rather use my new .62cal Virginia smoothbore and shot loads but unfortunately don't have it...barring that I'd really like to use a .40cal, but NC doesn't allow rifles for turkey in NC.
However, the only restrictions on shotgun barrels is that they can't be larger than 10ga...even slugs can be used in a smoothbore shotgun barrel (but not a rifled barrel).

So I Emailed the NC WRC to ask for written confirmation that the same lack of restrictions would apply to smoothbore Flintlock muzzleloaders and got the confirmation Email back OK.
(Which I have laminated and stored in my hunting vest and spare copies in the truck :grin: ).

When I scheduled a .62cal smoothbore Virginia build last year I assumed it would be done in time and actually sold my GM Full Jug Choke turkey gun to help finance it, but its not done...so I started exploring alternatives and came up with this approach.

It's really amazing how accurate smoothbores can be out to 50 yards...a good tight fitting PRB and enough power to keep the ball under a good head of steam to eliminate or minimize the knuckle-ball effect...and the rear sight on GM barrels is a huge help as well.

I looked into the SC rules.... I'm calling the DNR tomorrow to ask about it here.

Maybe I'm a little over cautious, but I think Emailing them so they respond in writing (Email) gives you iron clad backing to have in your vest in case you're stopped...its amazing to me but it seems like around here you can ask 10 GWs the same question and get a half dozen difgerent interpretations...plus, asking in Email is proof in front of a magistrate that you went the extra mile, showed 'due dilligence' in attempting to stay within the law.

roundball said:
...it seems like around here you can ask 10 GWs the same question and get a half dozen difgerent interpretations...
Boy, you're telling me. If you work at it a little bit, you can get a couple of different interpretations from the SAME game warden.

A year or so back, I was thinking about one rifle that I could use for everything from squirrels to deer in my state. I wasn't convinced, at that time, that .40 would be enough for deer (not to bring THAT up again :haha: :dead: :surrender: ).

SO I wondered about a .45, if I could use a REAL THICK patch :redface: and load a .395 ball for small game.

Anyway, I approached the local game warden and asked if something like that would be allowed, provided it would even work.

His answer was that "it ain't the size of the projectile that makes your gun legal - it's the size of the bore."

I pointed out that my 20-gauge fowler is legal for small game as long as I use shot, and it's legal for deer as long as I use a roundball. The only thing that had changed was the size of the projectile.

The guy his mind on the spot and agreed it would be legal to use a .45 rifle with an undersized ball.

I have to wonder if he'd have been that easy to convince if he'd caught me in the field using that combination.

I still think the thick patch and .395 ball might work with a .42 or maybe even a .43, but .45 is probably a stretch...

:hatsoff:
Spot

Idiots !!!!

Just got off the phone with the SC DNR and they told me that you have to use shot smaller that #4..... I told him it wasn't the regulations and he said he knows, but that's just the rules.

Then.... I just found out that I can't hunt with a 28g smoothbore during muzzleloading season, but I can hunt with a 36 caliber rifle. Oh the humanity !!!!

If you need me, I'll be on the phone......

medic302 said:
maybe he thought you ment 28 caliber instead of gauge?

3.2 For Special Primitive Weapons Seasons, primitive weapons include
bow and arrow, crossbow and muzzle-loading shotguns (20 gauge or
larger)
and rifles (.36 caliber or larger) with open or peep sights or scopes,
which use black powder or a black powder substitute.....

This just keeps getting better... there is nothing in the rules/regs that place a limit on shot size or amount used..... but there is something in a the "emergency rules and regulation" which states "no slugs". Now this Emergency RR is not on the website and not in pamphlet or anything..... My head hurts.

The blackpowder 28g rule is making me angry...

I am really uptight about following the rules when it comes to hunting, but I think I'd just say I am hunting deer with a .54 flintlock and go. You don't have to call it a 28 gauge and I doubt the wardens are going to be looking for lands and grooves if you just show them one of those big round balls... :idunno:

But I also realize that's real easy for me to say because I don't have to do it...

PA has no restrictions on ML shotguns, but you can't use single projectile ammo or rifles in the spring. I'd love to use my pretty little Vincent .45 but I can't :( And Iowa is the same way I think.

So I have a 20 bore English-style fowler on order for next year :thumbsup:

Back