• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Day with Original 1861 Colt Special Musket, with Chrono Results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
Took my deer rifle, an Original 1861 Colt Special Musket (mfg. 1862) to the range today. Brought five different powders to test, and all bullets were 510 grain Minies (from Pat Kaboskey the Civil War Bullet Man) sized to .580. Got some interesting results, especially with the Pyro RS. All other powders resulted in very good groups @100 yards, while only one bullet even hit paper using Pyro RS. I figure it failed to expand the Minie and engage the rifling. Even so, Pyro RS was still consistent, velocity wise. Check out the extreme Spread for 777 and Swiss, 6 and 5 fps, respectively. All powders were quite good in that respect, guess that 40 inch barrel burns it all up. The 777 load went hypersonic, and had a very distinctive crack that the other loads failed to produce. I will not be using 777, at least at 60 grains, for future shooting in my original Musket. I am sure it is safe, but I'll error on the side of caution. As in all my other guns, Swiss 3F and Pyro P are very similar in performance, within shot to shot variance of one another. My standard hunting load for years has been 60 grains of Pyro P. Groups are at 100 yards, 8"-10" high, which this gun has always shot to. It is dead on at 150 yards, which I really reckon was the intent to maximize point blank range on a man size target. Here is the data, just copied and pasted from my notepad.

1861 Colt Special Musket, mfg. 1862

510 gr. Traditional Minie, sized .580

All loads measured volumetrically.

60 gr. Pyro P

1069 avg. Ext. Spread 44 fps

60 Pyro RS

875 avg. Ext. Spread 46 fps

60 gr. 777 3F

1155 avg. Ext. Spread 6 fps

60 gr. Goex 3F

992 avg. Ext. Spread 36 fps

60 gr. Swiss 3F

1086 avg. Ext. Spread 5 fps

Attachments

• 20221029_145743.jpg
    20221029_145743.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221029_152703.jpg
    20221029_152703.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221029_154601.jpg
    20221029_154601.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 0
Cool.
I have an Armi reproduction of the 1861 Springfield musket. It's a fine shooter, issue now is I can't find musket caps. I have a few I'm saving. A nephew wants to shoot it.
I used it in the monthly members shooting match, firing round balls at 25 yards this last winter.
002.jpg

Cool.
I have an Armi reproduction of the 1861 Springfield musket. It's a fine shooter, issue now is I can't find musket caps. I have a few I'm saving. A nephew wants to shoot it.
I used it in the monthly members shooting match, firing round balls at 25 yards this last winter.
View attachment 171594
I have used PRB's before in my musket, and they were very accurate. I'm talking golf ball size groups at 100 yards. The problem is they are 28" high at they distance. I can hold for six to eight inches and still get my buck using a minie ball, but would struggle trying to hit anything while holding 2.5 ft. low. Wish i could use round balls for plinking and hunting, they are certainly more pleasant to shoot, cheaper and readily available. Not messing with my sights though to get prb's on target.

I have used PRB's before in my musket, and they were very accurate. I'm talking golf ball size groups at 100 yards. The problem is they are 28" high at they distance. I can hold for six to eight inches and still get my buck using a minie ball, but would struggle trying to hit anything while holding 2.5 ft. low. Wish i could use round balls for plinking and hunting, they are certainly more pleasant to shoot, cheaper and readily available. Not messing with my sights though to get prb's on target.

You can build up the front sight with some JB Weld and dress it down to the height you want with a needle file.
I believe medium heat with an acetelyne torch will let you remove all the JB when you want.
Someone else here will have specific information on removal. Verify that first.

I would have likely reduced the powder load with PRBs. It shouldn’t be reduced too much.

Back