• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range box examples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been shooting hand guns for decades. Used and wore out a Pachmayr 5 gun box so replicated it and modified it for blackpowder shooting. Of course it’s a pistol box but even for the occasional long gun it has everything needed for a day at the range. There is a back compartment that holds the spotting scope that fits the lid bracket.
Extra powder and projectiles are in small wooden boxes as well as several tins of percussion caps.
Small tools, cleaning supplies, targets, staple gun it’s all in and stays in the box.
Bulky, heavy and old school for sure and it only holds two handguns.
Oh yeah, why not? Looks great.

WOW!!! Some of you have gone above and beyond with your range boxes. Some of them look like furniture. I use a Dewalt tool box for my black powder stuff and I have a generic tool box that I carry things like ear protection, safety glasses, staple gun and staples, etc., things that can be used for either black powder or unmentionable shooting.

I use a wood range box with the normal things needed for a day at the range for pistols.

In addition, I have two (2) small plastic containers with folding lids. One box is set up to shoot percussion pistols and revolvers, it has everything in it needed. The other box is set up for flintlock pistols, again everything needed is there.

For long road trips, I have a four page list of things needed to shoot both style of pistols.
I like your idea of having a list. I do the same thing. It is far better to check off your items and have them all than to get to the range or rendezvous and realize you forgot something.

This is my range box. Have seen them at many shoots and took some basic dimensions, then built one to suit me. I’ve learned, you cannot carry everything in one box and do have soft sided bags for flintlock and musket, but this box has all of my cap lock needs.

Attachments

• 007CBE8D-0EE0-44A1-9A48-D65223BAB211.jpeg
    007CBE8D-0EE0-44A1-9A48-D65223BAB211.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 135
  • E01C0830-DD8C-4748-9AA4-470033675498.jpeg
    E01C0830-DD8C-4748-9AA4-470033675498.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 183FD1D0-E052-4EB7-A21A-CA9956A5FBDE.jpeg
    183FD1D0-E052-4EB7-A21A-CA9956A5FBDE.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 135
  • D69581CD-8E44-44FD-85BB-73E99D014934.jpeg
    D69581CD-8E44-44FD-85BB-73E99D014934.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 118
Do you have some Range Box plans to share ?

Cheers,
Andy
Basically, the box is 16” X 10”, 13” tall. After that, look at the pics and make your own internal design. Don’t fix permanent until you’re sure of internal design. Then glue and pin. I made one out of plywood, used it for a year, then built my current one out of tulip wood and stained with product made from Butternut Husks and gave original to a BP buddy. Bought all of the hardware at Home Depot.

You all using USGI ammo cans…you can buy plastic tray inserts designed to drop into .50 cal cans.

I think I got them from Midway. Made by MTM I think. Very handy way to organize lots of small stuff in ammo cans.

I would like to see how you organize your BP stuff for a range trip.
I shoot flint rifle and smooth bore,
Percussion rifle and revolver.
Seems like it’s always a scramble to be sure I have everything I need and I get to the range and need something I failed to bring.
Do you take your shooting bag to the range or do you have everything you need in a box?
Thinking I need 2 boxes, one for flint and another for percussion?
Pictures please?
Thanks, TG
I have a bag for each rifle, a bag for the shotgun and a small tackle box for the revolvers and pistol. Each has everything needed to load, shoot, clean, adjust sights, change nipples. Now I just need to paint them separate colors to match the guns so I arrive at my shooting place with the correct combination…

The RSO at the local range said to try a fishing tackle box. It works pretty well. The shadow in the upper right of top of box is the "muzzleloading forum" sticker. The top drawer that is not pulled out is for 'unmentionables'. I have a separate cleaning bin for when I come home from shooting. I do this because I don't know where in the house I will be cleaning my muzzleloaders.

gun tackle box.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of nice boxes here. I use a MTM MZ box for the necessities/tools that work with all the guns and have a separate bag for each gun. The MTM is stuffed with cleaning cloths to fill it keeping things from moving around.
I thought about a tackle box but if it went a$$ over teakettle in the truck I would have a mess to sort out.

A lot of nice boxes here. I use a MTM MZ box for the necessities/tools that work with all the guns and have a separate bag for each gun. The MTM is stuffed with cleaning cloths to fill it keeping things from moving around.
I thought about a tackle box but if it went a$$ over teakettle in the truck I would have a mess to sort out.
I was afraid of the same thing. What is a problem with weight in carry mode is also a solution in transporting it. It weighs about 35 pounds if I leave all the lead in it. Usually about 30 if I am selective in lead. It sits in the back of my SUV and doesn't move. Usually I have my rifles and my bag containing pistols/revolvers along with targets to keep everything steady. I can always use bunge cords to hold it steady.

Back