• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ramrod tappering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coarse sandpaper, electric drill, vice. Chuck up the rod in the drill, set the drill to speed, put it in the vice, and work at it with the sandpaper. A pair of calipers helps too. Measure often and check the fit in your gun.

Thick steel washer. One side of them usually has a fairly sharp edge from when they were punched out. Pull the rod through at an angle and it will scrap the rod down fairly quickly. Resharpen the edges when dull by laying the washer flat on a whetstone and rubbing in a circular motion.

Yes, it has been warm and leaves are all out in most places. King salmon are even starting to pulled from the rivers.

Hows the run I know its been down in some area like Anchorage but the last time I was there last fall they said the kings were coming back.

B.T

I've done it with arrows, with a hand plane and sandpaper. A light touch is called for. I used a "thumb plane" that was easy to maneuver.

I can't see any advantage for a tapered ramrod, and not much for a tapered arrow, since the bigger the better (ramrods, that is), IMO, so long as it fits down the bore.

You can make a tapered arrow or a ramrod shaper by simply attaching a fence at an angle to your sander, I think, but it's a lot of work for one or two ramrods. So long as you use a pusher stick. You can taper on both ends from the middle or one end. Would take some experimentation, at least for me!

I've made a spoke shear type of tool....looks like a fat two pronged fork....sharpen the middle edges, clamp in the vice and pull it through. I'd show ya pics, but for some reason photobucket hates me right now. Its no bigger than a can opener and works well.

Hi,
What works well is take an old lawn mower blade, with your dremel tool grind a 1/2" U, then a 3/8" U, a 5/16 U.
At each "U" form a bevel on one side.
Position the blade in a vise, with the "U" above the jaws of the vise, then pull your ram rod from the flat side of the blade.
If you slightly rotate the ramdod you will get a better taper. Start at the 1/2" and then work your way smaller.
Easy as pie, and the blade lasts forever.
Fred

In the "Gunsmiths of Grenville County" 2 methods are shown. One is a home made tool and the other is a tool made from someone else.

I have an old heavy duty shear or scissors. I clamp it slightly open in my vise. Instant tapered reamer.

Other folks I know have used a heavy metal drill gauge to pull the ramrod through.

I use the same type of idea but with two knife edge cutters placed about at 45 degrees in a vise and pull the ram rod through until it is where I want it then use sandpaper to smooth everything up.

Kings just starting to run in South-Central but it is still a little early. I imagine that reds are running in some streams too. Pink and silver runs usually start later. I'm one of those strange guys who enjoy catching salmon but my family and I aren't real keen on eating them. Halibut is what we enjoy.

Back