• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod retaining spring?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGRooster1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up 2 CVA squirrel rifles from Gunbroker.Both are missing the ramrod retaning spring.Anyone have an idea on making one?

Get some flat spring stock from Brownells, and cut out a piece to size. I believe those were held in by a small screw. If I am correct, you will need to drill a hole in one end to fit around the screw. The Spring Stock will easily bend to shape.

OR, you can use glue some leather in the RR channel( or even on the inside of the one of the pipes in the forestock), to provide pressure against the stick. That will keep it in the stock as well as a spring will.

A lot of people found that small spring to be a PITA, and removed it. You might call Deer Creek and ask if they have replacements.

The spring is fasten by the front lock bolt! They are a PITA. If you want one you can find them on e-bay. I take them off and have no problem w/the ramrod falling out.

IF you really really want a couple you could PM me an address and I'll send you a couple that came off my CVA firearms.

Thanks for all the quick replies.I also have a CVA Frontier that has one.I don't have a problem with it.I will need to have something to keep the ramrod in as they fall out very easy.
I think I'll be sending you a pm.Oh,ya.The ramrods are aluminuminuminum.lol :rotf:

They are missing the spring because the previous owner removed them after geting @#$% at them.Try the guns as is before thinking about putting one back in.

I made one from the tine of a leaf rake ... easy to do and still doing well as a repair for a lost one on a TC Renegade. :thumbsup:

Just cut off a small piece, shaped it, and installed it. :grin: Works fine! :hatsoff:

Davy

The metal banding used on pallets also maakes a nice "cold workable " light spring. I often use it to make sear springs.

The problem with most of them is that they are just too strong. You can bend them some to make them easier to work with. I am missing a couple and need to round them up. It just isn't that high on the list of todos. I have to finish the Squirrel rifle I have first.

I don't understand why most don't like them.If you put it in wrong ,just take it out and turn it around.Sure it's inconvenient but,if it keeps the rod where it is supposed to be.OH well.
The rifles I will be putting the springs in have aluminum rods,and they slide right on out.Unless of course I always keep the muzzle pointed up.haha

If you put it in wrong ,just take it out and turn it around.
That's the problem it will grab onto the wooden ramrod either when your putting it in the hole or takeing it out of the hole. Your choice as to what way you want it to grab when pulling or pushing the rod. If not adjusted really close it can dig into the wood makeing a weak point.

Latest posts

Back