• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rain permitting I'm ready to take a ship as a prize!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to use a thin linen thread or cotton button hole thread to tie the ends of my cartridges. If I am in a hurry and will be using the cartridges, I fold the open ends to close them. If I am making a long process, I will glue one end closed and fold the other end over.

Making paper cartridges for my Brown Bess, I use pages out of old books that nobody wants at yard sales. Only older ones without slick pages. I might give nitrated paper a try. I don't particular like the string I use. What type of string are you using?

Hemp cord from walmart craft aisle

Tea bags.....
I use my coffee maker to make sweet ice tea

I used the single bags
take off the string and pour the content into coffee filter
keep the tea bags in a ziplock bag until I get enough to make the cartridges

Appreciate the pointers on paper cartridges for the blunderbuss. As it turned out, I had half a roll of kraft paper in the basement that was left over from a bathroom remodel. It's probably not ideal for cartridges, but it's certainly not going to fall apart during transit and it would have been garbage otherwise. I made up 10 ball and 5 shot cartridges to try out this weekend.

Back