• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another flintlock rabbit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
Another hunt down at my buddy Chris's in South Central PA.
We jumped a total of 16 or so, but between both of us we only shot at 5 or 6.
I seem to miss if I take my time getting "on them" and no, I'm not aiming , I just try to take my time and not rush the shot, but I have yet to kill a full out running rabbit with the flint.
I had one the dogs kicked out right in front of me, I turned and threw the trade gun up it's direction and fired. It rolled. I don't know how I got it!
PXL_20230225_142958535_exported_1700_1677376994337.jpg

Are you missing because of the delay in ignition over a modern shotgun or because the BP doesn't have the same velocity as smokeless?

Our duck season starts in 3 weeks, I will be taking my fusil de chasse. Never tried shooting a duck on the wing with a flintlock.

Are you missing because of the delay in ignition over a modern shotgun or because the BP doesn't have the same velocity as smokeless?

Our duck season starts in 3 weeks, I will be taking my fusil de chasse. Never tried shooting a duck on the wing with a flintlock.
I wondered that, I don't know. I just need to keep hunting rabbits with it and eventually catch on.

Little did I know that would be my last rabbit off my first beagle. I bought Briar summer of 2011, and he was an exceptional hound. I never could find a hound that hunted with the drive he had. He set the bar', and none could measure up, I bought and sold hounds because he set the bar, and none were ever as good. He was different, I could call him off a rabbit, during a chase. I had to really yell, but he'd break and come back.
I could point to something like a small brush pile and tell him to hunt it and he'd go crawling right in, he was a brush dog, he would be in it thick no matter what.
He ran hard Saturday the 25 when I posted this thread, and he didn't want to eat much since that hunt.
I'll spare the details but I got him to eat some Tuesday and Wednesday but Thursday I came home from work to find that he gave up.
This is really hard, and I'm not a dog lover at all, my hounds are hunting dogs but I just lost the best one I could ever have. I do not think I will be continue owning rabbit hounds. I have 3 year old female left but I won't get any more. She's Briars neice and she's the best thing I've found since him.
I be willing to bet that over 500 rabbits were killed over Briar since 2011. I had time to train since when I bought him my wife and I were only dating. I ran him every day when he started running rabbits at 7 months old.
Now I'm 33 as of in an hr 3-3-23 ( it's 11 pm and in can't sleep) with 3 children, I don't have the time to put into a pup.
He was a hell of a dog. Going to miss that boy.
image.jpg
KIMG1593.jpg

Back