• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

R. E. Davis Triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any one knowledgeable about these triggers. I recently bought a gun with an R. E. Davis double set trigger, I believe it is the 'Large" model. The pull weight on the trigger was +7 pounds when the rifle arrived. I adjusted the center screw between the set trigger and firing trigger in some and was able to get the pull weight to about 5 pounds. I know that this screw is not a pull weight adjustment though. It only adjust trigger "travel". Is there another screw inside the mechanism that adjust weight? I contacted Davis, but as of yet, no reply.

I've only had experiecne with the Davis Deerslayers for TC guns. But, in my humble opinion it's the best improvement & 50 bucks you could spend on a Hawken or Renegade.

In my experience the Davis triggers have been excellent. They are designed primarily for use as set triggers and a heavy unset trigger pull may be factor of placement of the forward trigger arm relative to the sear arm and/or a heavy sear spring.

TOTW catalog 17 shows a good write up on set triggers on page 359, may or may not help in your situation. It labels the screw between the triggers as set trigger engagement screw and one behind the set trigger as backlash adjustment screw.

Is there another screw inside the mechanism that adjust weight? I contacted Davis, but as of yet, no reply.
Yes.
It's the actual mounting screw for the leaf spring. Derived "weight" is directly related to the tension the leaf spring applies to the rear cam.
The mounting screw is that adjustment.
A balance can be found between the travel of the front trigger (aka; break point) and that leaf spring's applied tension.
The only concerning factor is that the spring still needs to supply enough energy to the rear cam to strike the sear for a quick/responsive release.
Ya have to play with it, because too loose and the spring won't lift the cam high enough or hit hard enough,,

Some double set triggers have a 3rd screw for adjustment just behind the rear trigger, it's a small screw that limits the leaf "travel"(backlash)

Ya know what the fun part is? It's 400yr old technology that proves Newton was right,, 😇

Last edited:
You need to zero it then back it off. Set the rear trigger. While it's set turn the adjustment screw in until the trigger releases "goes off". Then back it off a quarter turn. If you can't get a very light trigger pull after this adjustment something else is might be wrong.

So what screw should I be playing with to lighten trigger pull? It's not obvious to me.

Attachments

• 20230402_105120.jpg
    20230402_105120.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
The lock in your photo doesn't have that adjustment
CVA/Traditions and several other Spanish made locks have a sear/tumbler engagement screw, they are not common nor available in all locks

Do as @necchi said. The Davis triggers are very good. Start at the rear of the trigger group and loosen the set trigger spring and the under spring set screw if yours has it. Get the set trigger break set first then adjust the front trigger. Photos of your particular setup would be helpful.

I purchased an R. E. Davis double set Deerslayer trigger for my .50 T/C Renegade a few years back and it is outstanding. Love it. A huge improvement over the stock trigger I had on my 30-plus year old Renegade. It turned me into a considerably more accurate target shooter.

Last edited:
Back