• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1979 Western Arms, Santa Fe (Hawken), .54/.52cal, and I'm still in the review period. My question is about the double trigger in that it doesn't appear that the set-trigger is doing anything. The front trigger is ~ 3-4# pull (I don't have a gauge). When I pull the set-trigger the front trigger it's still the same . The set-trigger doesn't always click, sometimes it does, but again, no difference... The rifle was really dirty, so I took the lock out and cleaned & lubed it (didn't take lock apart). I didn't take the triggers out, or try adjusting the set screw. This is really not a show stopper for me, but wondering what's going on. Thank you ~

If the lock was dirty the triggers are probably dirty too. Take the triggers out. Just as easy as taking the lock out. Clean them and oil them. While they are out you can play with the trigger adjustment screws. Start with the screw between the triggers (already suggested). I have the same gun and the triggers are really good and smooth. Also look for anything like small pieces of wood that may be floating around in there. Those are nice rifles and I believe with a little cleaning and adjustment, you will love it.

If the lock was dirty the triggers are probably dirty too. Take the triggers out. Just as easy as taking the lock out. Clean them and oil them. While they are out you can play with the trigger adjustment screws. Start with the screw between the triggers (already suggested). I have the same gun and the triggers are really good and smooth. Also look for anything like small pieces of wood that may be floating around in there. Those are nice rifles and I believe with a little cleaning and adjustment, you will love it.
Crockford - The trigger assembly was not as dirty as the lock, but I cleaned it, of course. I'm puzzled (no surprise) that there is no external setscrew for the set trigger, only a setscrew for the primary (see pic 2). Also, in the first photo @ the 5 o'clock position is a screw that appears would adjust the set trigger, but I could be wrong. That screw is all the way in and will not budge with my weak hands. With effort I can engage the set trigger into the notch of the primary. It appears that it is set for hunting mode (without using the set trigger). That is what I'll use this gun for, so there may not be a need to concern myself with loosening the screw that I mentioned. Thoughts? Thank you for your expert recommendation.

Attachments

• IMG_20231106_102111221.jpg
    IMG_20231106_102111221.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231106_102441735.jpg
    IMG_20231106_102441735.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Not the best pictures for detail. The philips head screw may not be original. On my double sets the adjustment screws are all headless. On both of my sets, there are 2 screws. One adjusts the tension that throws the set trigger up and the other adjusts the engagement between the firing trigger and the set trigger.

Not the best pictures for detail. The philips head screw may not be original. On my double sets the adjustment screws are all headless. On both of my sets, there are 2 screws. One adjusts the tension that throws the set trigger up and the other adjusts the engagement between the firing trigger and the set trigger.
Do you know if they made this model in a kit? The reason I ask is because there is a name electronically engraved on the bottom of the barrel, and also on the trigger guard that is concealed by the stock . With adjusting the philips screw I was able to get the set trigger working. I suspect I can get a standard setscrew from TOW if it bothered me that much. I just don't know if I want to keep this if the trigger isn't standard configuration?... I'm still under the review period (today's the last day). Thanks

Last edited:
You don't have to order one from totw just go to your local hardware store and if the screw is too long just cut it shorter. You can also cut the head off the Phillips screw and cut a slot with a dremel(out of the trigger assembly).

Crockford - The trigger assembly was not as dirty as the lock, but I cleaned it, of course. I'm puzzled (no surprise) that there is no external setscrew for the set trigger, only a setscrew for the primary (see pic 2). Also, in the first photo @ the 5 o'clock position is a screw that appears would adjust the set trigger, but I could be wrong. That screw is all the way in and will not budge with my weak hands. With effort I can engage the set trigger into the notch of the primary. It appears that it is set for hunting mode (without using the set trigger). That is what I'll use this gun for, so there may not be a need to concern myself with loosening the screw that I mentioned. Thoughts? Thank you for your expert recommendation.
Preacher, that screw between the triggers appears to be run in as far as it will go. Back it out four or five turns. You should be able to set the triggers then. Best to do with the triggers out so that you are not dry firing the gun. That is a very nice gun and is not a kit. I don't believe they made a kit gun. They are nice examples of a Hawken rifle. Mine is very accurate and when you get the triggers set to your liking, I believe you will love the set trigger feature.
Here is a picture of my screw , it is Phillips too, my others are not.
20231107_210130.jpg
the next picture will show you how far my screw is out. But you may prefer a lighter or heavier pull. Sometimes it only takes a small turn to make a difference.
20231107_211245.jpg

Also on my gun the back trigger (set trigger) can be set without the hammer being cocked.
Don't give up on the gun too soon. Lots of good information on set triggers on this site.

I bought a T/C Seneca that was advertised as "not working" . The only problem was the triggers needed adjusting. The screw was turned all the way in and the triggers were locked up. After 4 or so turns out they worked great. Easy fix...

I just purchased a 1979 Western Arms, Santa Fe (Hawken),
Thank's for the photo's.
Your trigger is worn beyond common repair, the "set" point of the double adjustment is demonstrated in your 2nd photo. It shows the front hook of the rear trigger cam as severely rounded. It should be a sharp right angle,, it's that little point that catches the front trigger. My guess is it's catch on the front trigger cam is the same.
Your photo's show that previous owners have made improper modifications that have caused damage.
Your front trigger will work just fine as it is, but the aspect of fine tuning that trigger assembly as designed is lost unless your a welder/machinist with free time.

Necchi, use one of those pictures to point out what you were explaining.
Crokford - Thank you for your insight on your gun, and mine... I'll pull the triggers and compare to your pictures. After spending some time with this trigger assembly, I determined all is well, and backing out that screw properly tuned the triggers, and they work properly. I could probably bring the screw out more, per your insight. What got me suspicions if it might be a kit, was not only the trigger assembly, which we know that is standard, but there are two electronic signatures, one on the barrel bottom, and the other on the trigger guard that goes into the stock. That doesn't make it a kit, but I thought it was odd that someone would do that on a production model, but hey, people do stupid things... I'm taking it to VA today to hunt whitetail (not using it on the hunt), and I'll shoot it. Oh, I'm puzzled by what Necchi said too, because my triggers look like yours, and work fine. Thank you for the education that I knew this site would provide..

The signatures that are etched in blind spots are probably for identifying the gun if it is stolen. I have seen them under toe plates and butt plates too.

Latest posts

Back