• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quick Shipment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
On March 23rd I ordered a Kibler Colonial Rifle kit. I was told a 3 month wait and it shipped today! Kind of excited and sort of nervous. Never been down the kit road before. Thought I would make this a father/son project. We are going to try and take our time and do it right, no hurry.

The question I have is what size of tap do I need for the lock screws? I am also a little nervous about completely disassembling the lock also.

Hopefully this project turns out to be something my son wants when dad is gone. :)

Here's Jim's current tool list.

Building and Finishing A Kibler Kit Tool List:

A good brand of chisel are the Pfeil or Swiss Made tools sold by Woodcraft. But, to be honest, there's nothing wrong with a cheaper variety. You might have to sharpen a little more frequently, but they will cut just fine. I have heard good things about Narex being affordable and decent quality.

A medium and fine grit sharpening stone will work fine. You could use natural stones such as Arkansas, or something like ceramic or diamond. Again, I wouldn't go to crazy with something expensive. Diamond are very nice but a little pricy. Arkansas might be a good choice.

A cabinet scraper is a nice tool to have. Yes, I'm referring to a square flat piece of steel. Ones that are on the thinner side are best. Maybe .020-.025", but then again, any of them will work okay.

To draw file, all you need is a flat mill file. Usually around an 8" file works well.

Also:

*1/8” chisel
*1/4” chisel *Xacto style knife *small mallet sharpening stone
*6”-8” single cut mill file *6”-8” half-round file fine cut *half-round needle file triangular (3-square) needle file flat needle file
*center punch
*1/16” drill bits
*1/16” pin punch
*small hammer
*battery, electric or hand drill
*side cutters
*pliers or vise grips
*screwdrivers
*2”-3” c-clamp
*articulating arm lamp (draftsman style lamp with full range of motion preferred) jewelers saw (optional)
150-320 grit abrasive paper for wood 150-320 grit abrasive paper for metal cabinet scraper (optional)
jack stand prop for rifle (optional) extension cord
inletting transfer color
wood stain and finish of your choice metal finishing solution of your choice

Congrats on the early shipment, very exciting! However I’d say you are VERY lucky. I placed an order for 2 southern mountain rifle kits on the 29th of March and was told it would be 6 weeks before they would ship them. Out of curiosity I Called again today Just to check up and they said it would be at least 8 weeks from today before it ships. it seems two weeks are added to my wait time Per every week That passes. Might just cancel and buy a finished gun.

Congrats on your rifle. I ordered smr in 32cal in late December and was told three months. At three months i called and told probably two to three months still before it ships. But i kinds understand with covid and all, been waiting four months for parts on my work truck. Thing are crazy. It'll get here one day and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Attachments

• Colonial.jpg
    Colonial.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 73
As a matter of information, I have a .58 Colonial. It weighs 8.6lbs. Any smaller caliber will weigh more. It balances well at the shoulder but is heavy to hold.

Jim Kibler posted over on ALR, on 04/26/2021, that he had a surplus to needs of .40 caliber SMR kits, and .50 caliber Colonial kits that would ship in 2 weeks if purchased now.

I'd hop on it if those are the calibers you want.

Jim Kibler posted over on ALR, on 04/26/2021, that he had a surplus to needs of .40 caliber SMR kits, and .50 caliber Colonial kits that would ship in 2 weeks if purchased now.

I'd hop on it if those are the calibers you want.

Kinda what Jim Kibler advised me also around the same time frame. A 36 in the SMR would be around 4 maybe 5 weeks, but a SMR in 40 would be around 1/2 weeks. I called them just this last Tuesday and the gal advised around 4 for either caliber in SMR at present. Called Chambers Rifles the same day and inquired, the Mrs. advised 2-8 months depending on model ordered. Due to large back order's, shortage of wood for proper stocks depending on grade due to some bad storm last year in region of wood provider, the Covid shutdowns, and a few other factors beyond their control. Advised the person who cuts and inlets their stocks is swamped and can only produce so many a day.

On March 23rd I ordered a Kibler Colonial Rifle kit. I was told a 3 month wait and it shipped today! Kind of excited and sort of nervous. Never been down the kit road before. Thought I would make this a father/son project. We are going to try and take our time and do it right, no hurry.

The question I have is what size of tap do I need for the lock screws? I am also a little nervous about completely disassembling the lock also.

Hopefully this project turns out to be something my son wants when dad is gone. :)
what caliber?
I ordered a Colonial in 54 rifled in early February and am still waiting
Wow, placed my order for a Colonial in December and am still waiting...

Might matter what type of wood you guys ordered with it. I ordered April 20th a colonial .54 in Fancy maple. Wondering if I'll be waiting 6 months now and not the 2-6 weeks it says on the site. 🤔

Called Chambers Rifles the same day and inquired, the Mrs. advised 2-8 months depending on model ordered. Due to large back order's, shortage of wood for proper stocks depending on grade due to some bad storm last year in region of wood provider, the Covid shutdowns, and a few other factors beyond their control. Advised the person who cuts and inlets their stocks is swamped and can only produce so many a day.

I called Chambers last week as well about my Fowler that has been on order since late summer and Barbie had same information for me. It doesn't matter much to me now anyway as they are my winter projects, i have plenty to do when the weather is nice... Waiting on a high grade American Walnut (since an English is even more hard to get and a priced like they are dipped in gold), so hopefully it is a nice chunk of wood when I do get it.

Back