• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions on bringing a T/C Hawken back to life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been shooting black powder percussion rifles and handguns for many years. I have a T/C .36 cal. Seneca percussion I have had for many years and enjoy shooting it. Always thought that some day I would buy a T/C flintlock .50 cal to kind of match the little guy, and to use it in our late season flintlock only season. Well we all know what happened and I for one waited to long. Recently got the urge and started looking around for one that I thought might be a good deal, surprise, surprise. Thru a recent acquaintance I have come across one that has been totally stripped down and was going to be restored or at least be put back to a reasonable condition, except it never happened. I have completely gone over and checked and rechecked that every part is there and working not broke down to the last little screw. Major stock work due to dings and scratches and piece broken off toe of stock ( piece included), minor metal work due to previous owner apparently trying to fit a frizzen and filed on barrel at vent hole instead of frizzen:mad:.. rifling has very minor rust an pitting will be able to polish. A few minor factory hiccups. My major problem is going to be the lock as it is the early one and I can see all ready it was not doing to good. The flints that are with it are all chew up, the frizzen doesn't look like it is being struck correctly. I have some ideas I want to try before I give in to putting an upgrade lock in mainly because of cost. Sorry for being so long winded, here are some pictures of lock
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

T/C Hawken was my first flintlock. I bought mine sometime in the early 2000's, nib.
Good luck with your project. They are fine shooters.

003.jpg

I dunno if you're using a cut flint in your rifle......but those are not (IMHO) the best. Get some good quality English flints and install with the bevel down. That should give you a higher "hit" on the frizzen and improve the spark going to the pan.

T/C came up with a hammer upgrade to address the problem of some guns shattering flints. The new cock (hammer) has different geometry so that the flint strikes at more of an angle for better flint life. Search some of the other threads regarding this change.

Yes I have researched the redesigned cock change but to find one looks like it may be searching for hens teeth. I have heard that a Lyman cock & frizzen would fit a T/C lock? I am still researching all options thanks for your time to reply

The lyman frizzen will fit with a little filling but you may still have a gap between bottom of frizzen and pan. Lyman Cock is same poor geometry as TC. No benefit.

The new style cocks are available from The Gun Works (541)-741-4118.
Specify new style when you talk with them as they apparently have both in stock.

The new style cocks are available from The Gun Works (541)-741-4118.
Specify new style when you talk with them as they apparently have both in stock.
When you call ask to talk to Suzi, and she will do whatever she can to help you. She has taken over since Joe, her husband and original owner, passed away. Actually purchased a couple of newer TC cocks from them a few months ago.

I have been shooting black powder percussion rifles and handguns for many years. I have a T/C .36 cal. Seneca percussion I have had for many years and enjoy shooting it. Always thought that some day I would buy a T/C flintlock .50 cal to kind of match the little guy, and to use it in our late season flintlock only season. Well we all know what happened and I for one waited to long. Recently got the urge and started looking around for one that I thought might be a good deal, surprise, surprise. Thru a recent acquaintance I have come across one that has been totally stripped down and was going to be restored or at least be put back to a reasonable condition, except it never happened. I have completely gone over and checked and rechecked that every part is there and working not broke down to the last little screw. Major stock work due to dings and scratches and piece broken off toe of stock ( piece included), minor metal work due to previous owner apparently trying to fit a frizzen and filed on barrel at vent hole instead of frizzen:mad:.. rifling has very minor rust an pitting will be able to polish. A few minor factory hiccups. My major problem is going to be the lock as it is the early one and I can see all ready it was not doing to good. The flints that are with it are all chew up, the frizzen doesn't look like it is being struck correctly. I have some ideas I want to try before I give in to putting an upgrade lock in mainly because of cost. Sorry for being so long winded, here are some pictures of lockView attachment 73423View attachment 73425View attachment 73428View attachment 73431View attachment 73434
Get a revised TC cock from The Gun Works. That makes it work better and your restored TC is original

I have the “old” style cock on my PA Hunter and it sparks fine although flint life could be better. I suggest first getting some good English Flints (I got mine from TOW) and then playing with different mounting angles/methods.

Worked on barrel for hour and a half with brushes, patches, oils, and abrasive cleaners, finally clean and shiny. Hard to believe the amount of black goo that came out. Very minimal pitting in barrel, might have got lucky there. twist 1:48. Removed vent hole liner all good in that area. Moved on to cleaning lock parts, more black crude and minor rust, even some small pitting in pan. Frizzen must have never been fitted, hard to move after spring was removed. Main spring and guide rubbing on wood due to improper in-letting and some metal to metal gouging due to burrs on metal parts, looks like some more polishing.

Worked on barrel for hour and a half with brushes, patches, oils, and abrasive cleaners, finally clean and shiny. Hard to believe the amount of black goo that came out. Very minimal pitting in barrel, might have got lucky there. twist 1:48. Removed vent hole liner all good in that area. Moved on to cleaning lock parts, more black crude and minor rust, even some small pitting in pan. Frizzen must have never been fitted, hard to move after spring was removed. Main spring and guide rubbing on wood due to improper in-letting and some metal to metal gouging due to burrs on metal parts, looks like some more polishing.
Good job!

Got all the parts I needed finally, new re-designed cock, and frizzen, assortment of English and French flints, and some flint leather. Got some .490 round balls and .015 patching to start with. Everything cleaned up nice so no more parts should be needed. Had to fit frizzen to T/C lock, no problem there. So now on to stripping and refinishing the stock, nothing fancy, no sense trying to put lipstick on a pig:), anything is better than the factory finish and color.

Back