• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All these guesses. How about the Davenport Formula to see how much the max you can burn in the barrel, then work down for grouping.

When I had my CVA 50 cal Hawken, I used 90 gr of 2f with a prb. That happened to be CVA's recommended max load. For a 54 it is probably 100 gr, possibly 110 gr with a prb
Why would you use the max load? The Civil war was fought with .54/.58 muskets primarily that used 50-60 grs max! There is absolutely no need to use that much powder. Many people here with decades of experience use much less than that and have been successful in hunting and target shooing. IMHO

My 2 cents -
Yes you can kill a deer with lighter loads. You can also kill a deer with a sharp stick.

I use 100 grains in my 50's and 110 in my 54's because it shoots flat and accurate. Less range error / elevation estimation effect. Making for more balls on the deer.
I guess, but I can not imagine what range you are shooting at with original sights etc that would require that much powder. Just one man's opinion. Reminds me of people who use "magnums" in almost all their unmentionables. Few were really needed, the term became misused and almost a status symbol for some. (IMHO)

It really isn't about how little powder you can use, it's a matter of what your rifle needs to shoot accurately. If the best groups are gotten with 50 gr then that's great. I shoot maxis and have found that light loads don't group a darn in my guns. I used to use loads that pounded me at the range but the one shot used on deer never bothered me. After reading you guys here I went back to the range where my rifles showed they would group very well with 10-20gr less powder. At 80-90gr it's still a bit of a rocking but in the field I don't mind it and the deer ain't complaining at all.

I used to believe in the more the merrier. My groups were all over the place with 95 grains 2fg out of my .54 caliber guns. I went down to 80 grains, and hit a sweet spot, at least for me. My groups tightened up significantly. That's the only load I use now, for practice, and hunting.

Why would you use the max load? The Civil war was fought with .54/.58 muskets primarily that used 50-60 grs max! There is absolutely no need to use that much powder. Many people here with decades of experience use much less than that and have been successful in hunting and target shooing. IMHO

Because it was the most accurate load

It really isn't about how little powder you can use, it's a matter of what your rifle needs to shoot accurately. If the best groups are gotten with 50 gr then that's great. I shoot maxis and have found that light loads don't group a darn in my guns. I used to use loads that pounded me at the range but the one shot used on deer never bothered me. After reading you guys here I went back to the range where my rifles showed they would group very well with 10-20gr less powder. At 80-90gr it's still a bit of a rocking but in the field I don't mind it and the deer ain't complaining at all.
Yes, Maxis are different than PRB

I’ve found that 50 grains behind a rb is pretty anemic, but you need to find what load your rifle is most accurate with. I use 70 grains of FF because I’ve had problems with 50 grains shock value on a deer. With 70 grains I usually at least get an exit wound, unless you pull a shot and hit in the shoulder. Power doesn’t mean much of anything without accuracy though. I will say I don’t think you need 110 grains though

I’ve found that 50 grains behind a rb is pretty anemic, but you need to find what load your rifle is most accurate with. I use 70 grains of FF because I’ve had problems with 50 grains shock value on a deer. With 70 grains I usually at least get an exit wound, unless you pull a shot and hit in the shoulder. Power doesn’t mean much of anything without accuracy though. I will say I don’t think you need 110 grains though
I would think 70 grs is a decent load in a .50 ! I'm not sure why you need an exit wound? If the ball stays inside all the energy is inside too!

I've hunted with .50 and .54. Basically, every rifle has a favorite patch/ball/powder combination. For white tail in the East, I wouldn't go any lower than 70 grs. of 2F. In the West, for mule deer, longer shots are often necessary, so I went up to a .54 and 80 grs. of 2 F. But whatever you and your rifle need to shoot accurately in your area is the most important in my opinion.

I shoot a TC Hawkens 50. Using Buffalo bullets (490 grain solid base), I had to go up to 110 grains Goex FF to get consistent groupings under 1” at 50 yards, using a vernier peep sight. Good round holes in targets. Less, or more, I would get tumblers, and some crazy holes. Friend I hunt with uses 70-80 under a 385 hollow base BB, for his most accurate load.
I’ve retrieved every slug regardless of range on a lot of deer. Mushrooms out but retains weight well. Just doesn’t go through from shot placement. Hits where I point it, due to shooting it a lot. I did make a solid brass ramrod which adds some weight to it, but I don’t have problems pushing a second load down the barrel in the field quickly. Helps with recoil too.

I would think 70 grs is a decent load in a .50 ! I'm not sure why you need an exit wound? If the ball stays inside all the energy is inside too!
I'm sure as a hunter you know that a full pass through equates to better blood trails. And before you say deer don't go far enough to need them, if you shoot enough deer there will always come a day where blood trails help find a deer.

I really don't get why some guys get so pushy about light loads. If you can't handle the recoil fine but don't pretend there is no benefit from more energy and a flatter trajectory of going higher. Particularly if it produces accurate results.

😂
Deer don’t care and are unaffected by ever how much energy the ball has after it’s been through the vitals
Best you get out of an exit wound( no pun intended) is a little more blood to help trail

You are correct, Sir, as Ed McMahon used to say to Johnny Carson.

I guess, but I can not imagine what range you are shooting at with original sights etc that would require that much powder. Just one man's opinion. Reminds me of people who use "magnums" in almost all their unmentionables. Few were really needed, the term became misused and almost a status symbol for some. (IMHO)
I have always enjoyed long range target shooting and do the Timothy Murphy shot every now and then. For hunting I'm confident to 50 yards for off hand shots and anything between there and 100 is off tree or off knee.

And, yes I enjoy my more powerful unmentionable handguns because they are more effective and easy to carry. I have taken 9 deer with those while still hunting.

There were other considerations, 60 gr was economical and in war the aim isn't for a clean kill. It's to stop the enemy.

Latest posts

Back