• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on poured pewter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like this?
IMG_5399.jpeg

Yes this is one I made back in April. I don’t have any pics of doing the cap but I do of the bolster which is pretty much the same procedure. What I did was cut/filed a square groove all the way around the antler to give the pewter some overlap and I believe it gives a better result (no gaps) and more bite. It is more work than just leaving it flush and may not be necessary, just what I did.

IMG_5390.png

I then added several wraps of tape just under the groove to increase the diameter of the poured pewter. This will “build out” the pewter and give you more room to work any errors. Then make a tape “well” around the antler to hold the pewter. Because of the wraps you made under the groove/shelf the poured pewter diameter will be larger than the antler diameter now. Hope this makes since by the photos below.

NOTE: one thing I did different for the cap was to drill several holes down in the end if the antler with a 5/64” drill bit at random/opposing angles. The pewter will flow down into these holes and give it much more bite and secure it to the antler. The opposing angles will fight the cap from coming off. It’s very secure!

IMG_5381.jpeg

Notice how the pewter diameter is larger, the more you wrap under the groove /shelf the larger the it will be. But you’ll have to file/sand more so there’s a trade off.

IMG_5384.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. Knife looks really nice. This is my experiment with a ball starter.
Muzzleloading, not just a hobby but a life all of its own. pouring powder down a hole leads to so many other things!
both of the projects above are splendid!
i lucked into 10 lbs of pewter and now my brain sees unlimited uses!

Those look very nicely finished. Did you pour them on the antler or cast them and install them? Did you drill “pin” holes into the antler end to help secure them?
Poured them. Removed about a 1/4" of the pulp, drilled 3/16" pin holes in opposing angles. Hope it works. Thanks for the info. :thumb:

Good job and sound procedure and recommendations. I wanted to add pewter inlays and cap to a pipe tomahawk handle and my initial efforts were unsuccessful. I, too, encountered a some pewter burn to the wood. With a little more effort and practice, I should get better at it.

Latest posts

Back