• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for you period knife guys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne1967

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was this type of bladework found in the 1750ish time frame?
knife-2.jpg

I don't believe so, most I have seen were more like a butcher knife blade...

But she sure is pretty...I believe that will make a very nice skinning knife...How about making a few and posting them up...

That knife is a modern fantasy reproduction of a facsimile version of a copy of a interpretation of nothing in particular.

In other words,
:shake:

I wish I had the skill to forge a blade like that. This one I found for sale. Actually I was asking about the little cut out doo hicky on the bottom of the blade not the rough looking finish. Looks kinda like the cut out on kukris.

These are thin blades, and looking at the narrow grind for the edge bevel, I would say they are not forged, which makes no difference as far as performance, but they are definatly not a suitable knife for a serious 18th c. reenactor.

I think these knives are made out of old cross-cut saws. Good steel there, just not forged hand or machine. I haven't seen any early American knives with the cutouts on the blade before.

Now all that being said, I do have one of those knives, it works well. I just don't use it with any period reenactment.

Many Klatch

Like others have said I don't think it is ok from the English or French style of knives used then but you may want to research spanish style knives of the period. Many folks forget that the Spanish were down south ie Florida n Georgis areas as well as out in the Calif, Ariz, NM areas way before the English or French. If your persona leans in that direction(Spanish) it MIGHT be ok but you would have to research styles they carried to make sure.

Wick, that particular blade seems as though it might possibly be chisel ground, either that or it is quite thick to have such a thin grind line.

There is a notable blacksmith who is highly recognized in this area for his knives and tomahawks, and that is Joe DeLaronde of Mancos, Colorado. http://www.delarondeforge.com/

Joe is an old timer who has researched patterns carefully over the years. His website there has some good pictures, including the Spanish knives. I use one of his tomahawks. He will be at the Western Nationals this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "cut out" reminds me of a Spanish Notch.
I think it was a popular decoration on large Bowie knives, and could have been a working or perhaps pseudo blade breaker/catcher? The bowies are definately 19th century however.
TCA

No, they are not forged. They are stamped out of sheet steel, given a sabre grind, acid etched until they have an old look, and then a handle put on. They cut okay because they are thin. They are usually stamped RT (River Traders) or DMP (David Palmer), etc.

They are usually full tang rather than a half tang and hafted, so not exactly period correct. While there are some historic examples of French/English trade knives with file work along the spine, they don't have the Spanish notch, which was often found on larger guardless bowies of the Belduque type.

As noted above, they are fantasy knives often passed as historically accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne1967- I'm going to be as critical as I can- don't get mad okay? Let me start by saying I've made A LOT of stuff I found out later wasn't pc and I'm still at it- I get excited about a project and rush in and make something before I think out every aspect.
So here it goes......
The "old look" that's the way my blades looked that I soaked in bleach. There is corrosion, that's true but the look isn't like the look on an old blade. On an old blade there is a shallow pitting of tiny marks whereas the bleach gives sort of a worm wood like appearance.If you have some old high carbon steel kitchen knives look at them.
The bevel at the edge- I have never seen that on an original knife, normally the main bevel goes pretty much to the edge- an exception is scalpers sharpened on one side by Indians.
File work on the spine- I think pocket knives had file work on the springs back to 1800 and maybe earlier- I don't know about fixed blades.
The Spanish choil or fighting notch- Spanish knives had them to my knowledge and Bowies maybe after 1826 "ish" or mid 1800's- when the Sheffield outfits were making them.
The five pin "H" pattern. Maybe early 1800's.
Generally you can't go wrong with 3 pins. I've had trouble trying to find when the 5 pin pattern first appeared.
Are those brass pins? I am told brass screws were used very early in Sheffield to fasten scales together, the ends were filed flush so they look like pins but in the 1830 catalogs the screws look to be of larger diameter. Some knives had a combination of pins and a screw in the middle of a five "H" pin and the screw is of larger diameter. Iron/steel pins are probably a safer bet.
And, one particular fellow who knows perhaps more than anyone else about knives keeps telling me I am looking for black and white answers in a world full of different shades of gray, in other words, anything is possible and there are no concrete rules, what I have posted is simply my impression of what I have run across.
All that said, still a good looking knife and good craftsmanship. It took talent to make it. :)

I'm pretty sure that knife was made by Marv Palmer of hemlok Mi. he told me the notchs were for working on fish nets?

Back