• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question For Double Barrel Shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wehrmacht

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Contrary to modern double barrels where the right barrel is usually fired first,then the choked left barrel, doesn't it make more sence with a hammer gun to fire the left barrel first and then the right? This way you won't have to reach over the already fired right hammer to back the left hammer.Is there any merit to this,or am I thinking off base? Mike,do you have any thoughts about this?

That is just what i have been doing for years with mine. I figured the same as you, that it is easier to reach the rt hammer for a quick second shot.

Well, since I also shoot right handed, it is just natural for me to cock the right hammer when I bring the gun up. Actually, I cock both hammers when I raise the gun. Since I am used to shooting 2 trigger SxS's, I would get all messed up if I didn't shoot the front trigger first. As a matter of fact, I am so used to it, I have a very hard time shooting a single trigger, double barrel gun, twice.

I cock both cocks as I raise the gun. In fact I practice this at home before hunting season so it becomes second nature. On some of these big double flint guns in the larger bores it can be a difficult feat to learn because of the distance between the two cocks.

i cock both hammers also but dont have a flint gun.. i have a 10 guage percussion.. i dont use it anymore but it was (is) a real killer.. it takes years to master but if your shooting a downed bird, you use full choke, if bird, birds are flying away you shoot right barrel first, if they are comming at you you shoot left barrel first.. so with years of practice you can make this automatic. i know its hard becouse it took two years before my son used more than one barrel.. it is not that unusual for a far bird to get up and you shoot it with the left barrel, then the shot flushes a closer bird and you shoot it with the right barrel.. . i would carry the gun on my right shoulder and when i pulled down on the wrist the thumb will naturaly cock the hammers with the power you need as the gun flips over top of the shoulder.. this works especially well if your carrrying dekoys or equipment in the left hand.. dave

If you do decide to cock both hammers be sure that you lower the second hammer if you don't fire the second barrel, and uncap that barrel before reloading.

Speaking of uncapping the unfired barrel what is the best way. I usually use my pocket knife but this usually damages the cap too much or flips it out into the grass to never be found again. I know the cost of a cap isnt too awful much but waste not want not.

Berk

I have a Brass capper that the caps are just pushed in from the front and come out the front. I just push the capper over the cap on the nipple and squeese the sides to grip the cap, and pull it off that way.

Back