• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about shooting round ball in smooth bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patch, no patch, Wad, no wad, Wad and patch both! Smoothbores are a personal preference playground.

Larry Callahan, and ballmoulds.com make it possible to run ANY size ball through your gun.

.125" felt OP wads, bare balls measuring ~.010" under bore size, and an overshot card of some description make a great combo for me. Easy to load, easy to keep the gun running, and it produces minute of boiler room accuracy.

I personally like to use a .015” patch/Mink Oil) with a .600 LRB in my .62 cal smoothbore. Group sizes run about 50% smaller then using a wad or just a ball. No swabbing for 10-20 shots.
IMG_0483.jpeg

What caliber?

Bob
It's .50 cal, using a .490 ball and a 0.010 patch as per Pedersoli manual.

I just checked Track of the Wolf and see I can get round balls in .480. Would that be the appropriate size to try in my situation? The next size down from there is 0.465, which seems a pretty big jump, though I suppose the thing to do would be to just use a thicker patch?

Last edited:
It's .50 cal, using a .490 ball and a 0.010 patch as per Pedersoli manual.

I just checked Track of the Wolf and see I can get round balls in .480. Would that be the appropriate size to try in my situation? The next size down from there is 0.465, which seems a pretty big jump, though I suppose the thing to do would be to just use a thicker patch?

That’s what I would do. .480 ball with a thicker patch.

Bob

That’s what I would do. .480 ball with a thicker patch.

Bob
Me, too. For a .50 caliber smoothbore, I think .480” balls would be a good choice.

Just for the record, I shoot .480 balls in my rifled fifties and .520 balls in my rifled fifty-four, with a thick patch heavily lubricated with tallow. You might not win the Nationals with this combination, but it shoots well enough for my purposes, is easy to load, and the extra lube in the thicker patch keeps fouling soft.

Notchy Bob

In my 12 gauge Northwest trade gun the bore measures.720. I shoot either a .690 ball with .015 patch or a .715 ball with a 1/8" nitro card under the ball and an overshot card on top of the card. Accurate either way out to at least 60 yards.
My .58 I have just used a .57 ball and nitro card, overshot card combo. I have not experimented beyond that at this time.

Just personal experience backed by historic data.....
My preferred load for a smoothbore is dead brown Spanish moss wads.
I do wax the moss wads when I can. I make a ball of Spanish moss by roller by it around in my palms. The rolls it up tight and sticks, dirt and stuff like that fall out of the moss as I work it.
I load the charge
Moss wad
Ball
Moss wad

For a quick shot I’ll use a single wad over the ball.

I have found that a PRB in a smoothbore is less forgiving for repeating shots. They’ll stick in fouled bore real quick.
When a patched ball gets stuck in a smoothbore, you really need a good range rod to seat it.
For this reason alone, using a wooden rod, I prefer wadding.

My personal preference is bareball over a thin 1-2 oz. leather OP wad followed by an 8-9 oz buffalo heavily lubed 50/50 beeswax/mink oil wad then a .610 ball with a felt or leather wad on top... I can shoot all day long with 5-6" groups at 50 yards which is about the best my old eye-bones can do... Best of all it's easy to load and clean, reasonably HC (pretty minor consideration for me), have a lot of leather scrap and punch my own wads so no extra cost, and I use the exact same setup for shot though I'll usually double up on the lubed buffalo for a bit of a cushion... My $.02, ymmv

Question: is it necessary to patch the ball when shooting a smooth bore muzzle-loading black powder firearm? Per my limited knowledge and experience, the main purpose of the patch is to grab the rifling and spin the ball. It seems this serves no purpose in a smooth bore. Am I still supposed to be using a patch with a round ball in a smooth bore gun? And if so, what purpose is it serving there? Thanks ....

So there is no reference so far known that shows patching of round ball in a smoothbore in the 18th century. YET riflemen and patched ball were known both in the American Colonies, and in Germany.

There are references to Select Marksmen using round ball in a smoothbore, but they did not use patching.
There could be a lot of reasons for this, both in the civilian and military world.

One theory is that when you patch without rifling present, the patching folds differently each time, while when there are rifling grooves the folds happen in the grooves the same way, AND of course the patching imparts the stabilizing spin.

Another theory is that while rifles were often sold with a mold, so that the buyer would have a ball close to the bore size, and thus could load with a tight, or slightly less than tight patch as the shooter chose...,

Smoothbore shooters often obtained pre-made ball, or in military formations, a few molds were provided for the entire group of men. This meant that the ball was likely a lot looser than the difference between a rifle's ball and barrel size. SO..., while the rifleman with a .54 was dealing with a self molded ball of .530 or .520 size, the smoothbore guy might be dealing with a .590 ball in his .62 fusil or .65 carbine, or a .690 ball in his .75 Bess.

So for the 18th century smoothbore shooter, perhaps patching didn't work, as they didn't have the option of going to a bare .610 or .615 with a patch in their .62 fusil, or a .730 ball with a patch in a .75.

The Select Marksmen of the 18th century would be issued ball..., and then would roll paper cartridges for accuracy. I think they were making custom sized cartridges that fit just so in their bores, each man knowing exactly what his musket liked when it came to getting an accurate shot out to 90 yards, while using that issued ball. It's also known that only a small portion of the Select Marksman's ammo was thus made, and that the rest of his ammo was standard military rounds. Likely because after a few shots, his bore was so well fouled, that he had to resort to the standard ammo, and save any remaining "accurate" loads until he could take a break and swab his bore, similar to a rifleman.

LD

Question: is it necessary to patch the ball when shooting a smooth bore muzzle-loading black powder firearm? Per my limited knowledge and experience, the main purpose of the patch is to grab the rifling and spin the ball. It seems this serves no purpose in a smooth bore. Am I still supposed to be using a patch with a round ball in a smooth bore gun? And if so, what purpose is it serving there? Thanks ....
No ,it is not necessary to patch a round ball in a smooth bore , and they were not originally intended for such . I use the term " naked ball " , I saw it somewhere in an old manuscript ....The naked ball is usually accurate enough for close range work . The original barrels they find archeologically always have a naked ball with wadding holding it all in . The patched ball is usually , but not always , a bit more accurate . I have had barrels that it did not make a difference whether the ball was patched or not , the accuracy was the same wither way but ...ive had a bunch of smoothbore barrels that the accuracy was enhanced with a patched ball . Sometimes a loose patch , sometimes a good tight patch ...try all combos to be sure . Larry Zornes barrels love a patched round ball ,MAN ! are they accurate out to 100 yards !! I was finally told by the range officer to quit shooting the spring loads ground target at 75 yards , I was tearing it up !/Sounded like a hammer hitting it ! :)

Last edited:
No ,it is not necessary to patch a round ball in a smooth bore , and they were not originally intended for such . I use the term " naked ball " , I saw it somewhere in an old manuscript ....The naked ball is usually accurate enough for close range work . The original barrels they find archeologically always have a naked ball with wadding holding it all in . The patched ball is usually , but not always , a bit more accurate . I have had barrels that it did not make a difference whether the ball was patched or not , the accuracy was the same wither way but ...ive had a bunch of smoothbore barrels that the accuracy was enhanced with a patched ball . Sometimes a loose patch , sometimes a good tight patch ...try all combos to be sure . Larry Zornes barrels love a patched round ball ,MAN ! are they accurate out to 100 yards !!
Kind of a neat story ... I was schooled in smoothbore accuracy or at least now to achieve as much accuracy as possible from a smoothbore , from Edson " Eddie " Myers of Madison County Ohio. Eddie was an amazing person , a true child of nature , an amazingly skilled machinist and blacksmith , a historian and very self sufficient individual . He tells me how his Grandfather got the best accuracy out of his issued smoothbore in the Civil War . His Grandfather was issued a smoothbore , because the US didnt have enough rifled muskets at the beginning of the war . So ....this is amazing stuff . I'm informed by a guy that was mentored by a Civil War veteran ....just incredible. It boiled down to tight patched round ball and try different charges . Two neat things there ....The Sargent had to tutor guys born in the 1840 in how to load a smoothbore for accuracy and I got info second hand from a Civil War veteran .... Any who . Try a patched ball and a few different loads and see what you get and go from there .....

Back