• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball size for 12 gauge smooth bore percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli 12 gauge that I want to shoot patched round balls through. The bore diameter is 0.725" and the muzzle diameter is 0.710" Do I size the ball and patch to the bore or the muzzel. Thank you
Mike

I have a Pedersoli 12 gauge that I want to shoot patched round balls through. The bore diameter is 0.725" and the muzzle diameter is 0.710" Do I size the ball and patch to the bore or the muzzel. Thank you
Mike
First, Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your posting.
Since you are loading from the muzzle, the .710 diameter of the bore must allow ball plus the patch to be able to get through that smaller diameter of that muzzle. I would start with a ball of approximately .680 diameter and experiment with several types of patching material for best accuracy.
Alternatively, you could try a bare ball with simple wadding behind it and a card in front to keep it in place. Sometimes that gives surprisingly good results.
Bottom line use an undersize ball to make loading easier.
Best of luck - make some smoke and have fun!

Do I size the ball and patch to the bore or the muzzel.
Neither, if you want your gun shooting best,, let me guess, your after bear?
Just get 690 ball, some 10 patch, some 15 and some 20,, might as well use pre-lubed while your learning,,
Then go shoot. Your gonna have to "work-up" the load that works best for your gun.
You'll need 100 caps and a pound of powder before ya find what works best,(for your gun).

p.s. I'm just south in Cloudy town,, hunted and harvested in your neck of the woods,, just a bit north and west,,

I too use .690 balls with patch in both shotguns. Tried bare ball, nitro card, over shot card, patch, etc. and settled on some lubed thick pillow ticking.

Last edited:
“ I personally’
‘Get a’
Ect
You can get very good accuracy from a smootie
And have a dozen diffent loads that all work best
Buy several ball sizes from Track of the wolf and experiment.
.680 patched to .710 bare
Large charges and smaller
Patches, wads, patches and wads, wads over wads on both sides.
Best is a bunch of howie
A tight load with bare ball May shoot well, but load hard when a little dirty. A loose patch combo might shoot almost as well and be very easy to load.
Cartridges can shoot surprisingly well
Just play with it

A tight load with bare ball May shoot well, but load hard when a little dirty. A loose patch combo might shoot almost as well and be very easy to load.
That's the most important lesson. Depending on how you want to use it, choose accordingly. Try several sizes and decide for your self. My Ped. BB took a .715" ball with patch but I had to load it like a rifle and swab frequently. That procedure may not be for you.

I load my CVA double with 00 in one side and a .690 round ball patched with whatever is handy (I think its still loaded with one of those heavy duty shop paper towels). Obviously your Pedersoli is the exact same dimensions as my CVA in every way, so beware if you try to do things differently.

I have done the same thing, one barrel with ball and the other with 00 buck or even buck and ball. I’ve also played with Lyman and Lee slugs in modern shot cup and paper cartridges I made from brown bags and printing paper.

Back