• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about lugs.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
On my 32 cal swamped barrel would you dove tale the lugs under the barrel or solder with 95/5 ? I believe that's the solder I have. I soldered the rib under a half stock Vincent with it and it turned out nice and holds like it was part of the barrel. I've done a ton of soldering and brazing and aceyt oxy welding over my career. Im just concerned about the wall thickness on the middle lug where the barrel is swamped the most. Thanks

You can do a shallow dovetail and solder it in where the swamped portion of your octanal barrel is and do a full dovetail at the rest of the positions. My normal dovetail depth is no deeper than 0.040". Where the swamped portion is I would only go 0.020" to 0.030" deep no deeper.

Thanks if I may ask one more. I know the barrel is in all the way but doesn't being swamped make it not touch the wood in the middle or swamped section. Should I bed it.i don't see a problem the way it is since the only think the barrel pins do is hold the stock to the barrel if I understand it correctly.

The barrel inlet could or should be the same shape as the barrel, not a straight channel. The barrel supports the stock, it has to be in contact with the barrel everywhere to support the thin forend.

Back