• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYMorey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .50 cal T/C New Englander. It came with Remington percussion caps. The tin cover says "100 (F.C.) percussion caps" UMC.

I bought some CCI #11 caps but they don't fit on the nipple.

What is the difference in the types of Caps.

Can I get a new nipple that will take the CCI #11 caps since they seem to be more available.

Frenchman said:
:nono: Take the CC caps and deep six them!!! That is where they belong. CC Caps are garbage!!!

I've used thousands of CCI #11 caps (regular and magnum) never had a problem with them. I did have a problem with one rifle miss firing with a different brand of cap (manufacturing defect in the barrel), the CCIs still worked fine and overcame the defect, that sold me on them.

P.S. Not sure about the problem with the nipple. Have used them on Hot shot (TC), Red hot (Knight/GM barrels), and Lyman nipples always fit. You could turn the nipple using a drill and some sandpaper or try another nipple.

You said that the CCI caps don't fit the nipple but you didn't say if those caps were too big or too small. Please be more specific. If the caps seem to be too small, I'd guess that your gun's nipple has been "fattened" by previous hammer blows. A new nipple will fix that. Come back and let us know what you need. Le Grand

:v OK if your #11 CCI's don't fit, then take off the nipple and chuck the threaded end into a slow moving drill. Use a small file and gently run the drill and file some of the outside of the nipple, until the cap fits easily---don't file too much-----AND DON'T TRY TO FORCE IT ON OR TAP IT IN PLACE :nono: ---you might not like the scare you will get, and the loss of a chunk of your thumb. The cap should fit on easily and also be removed easily without any force. :thumbsup:

Pasquenel is right. The nipples are probably oversized from use. I rarely bought a used gun that didn't need the nipples turned a bit. It's a simple procedure and you'll end up doing it on and off as they expand from the hammering they get. Or just buy a better grade of nipple from one of the suppliers.

Thanks for the replies.
I used a file to work around the edges and the #11 caps fit on the nipple just fine now. I think I'll pick up a spare.

I have that rifle bought used with nipple of unknown origin and use the CCI #11 caps. I just have to gooseegg them a bit and they fit fine and stay put.

By the way, I found these 3rd party comments on another site. Relate to you question and may be of interest;

In Response To: Re: S&W Buys Thompson/Center Arms (one shot)

I have had great luck with TC customer service and their lifetime garontee. A couple years ago my TC New Englander sideklock was failing to set of the cap about 1 in 5 tries. This is a gun I had bought off the used rack at a gun shop 5 years earlier. I sent the gun to them, and they sent it back about a month later with a hole new action, and new stock (they said when they took the action out of the old one there was a crack in it). The only part of the gun that was the same was the barrel. NO CHARGE!

I hope that doesn't change, When I bought my inline I only looked at TC because of that

Back