• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question about a squirrel rifle,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am close to ordering a southern mountain rifle kit from kibler, I just am unsure on the caliber. I have a 40 not kibler, I think I want a 32 or 36 but I here how hard they are to clean. and that you must swab between shots or the ball is almost impossible to seat. then I here that is not the case. so what is the truth?

I have a Blivens .32 North Carolina rifle. I load a bore sized ball (.320) and a .015 patch. I only swab after every third shot only because I like to not because I have to. I do not believe the smaller bores are any harder to clean than the mid and large bores. It does require the right rod attachments of course.

That's another old saw just like "seasoning" with Bore Butter. I have a .32 and a .36 and never swab the bore until I finish shooting and start cleaning it. If anything they load easier than the larger calibers. I simply can't imagine where this misinformation originally came from. My .36, for example, likes a .350" ball and a .024" canvas patch; I use the wood 5/16" rod for most shooting.

.350 prb and .016 ball lubed with Hoppe's 9 (was +) in my .36 Kibler SMR loads easy after many shots. I do NOT clean between shots.

IMG-0963-s-RGB.jpg

Back in the dreamtime I owned a .32 that was death on squirrels and such but I was busy moving to Arkansas and didn't get to shoot it much. I sold it to a fellow who needed it, thinking I would build another some day. Some day came and easy to find .32 barrels became non existent or valuable, and I just never sprang for one. Max Vickery wrote a really good story in Muzzle Blasts years ago called 'Shagbark Squirrels' that explained the joy of shooting a .32 longrifle. If you can find it, it will inspire you. Nothing larger is needed for small game, it's just beautiful. In fact I might have to build another before I croak. Good shooting, Geo.

Last edited:
Had a.36 shot a .350 ball with .15 patch lard greased. I could shoot ten shots with out a problem and it cleaned as easy as bigger guns.
Hunting I’ve found a swab and dry patch easy to clean between shots. I swab normally now and last twenty or so shoots. It doesn’t noticeably slow my shooting experience

I shoot small calibers almost exclusively no hardy to clean than any other black powder gun and swab or dont swab depends on your gun. I have one 36 that I just get better accuracy if spit swab between each shot but all of my guns hold good small game accuracy out to 35 yards for many shots before requiring a swab.

I have a TVM .36cal and love it. I shoot it at my clubs woods walk which is 21 shots. My load is .350 rb, .018 pillow ticking and 35grs 3F swiss. For lube i use mink tallow from TOTW and the good ole spit patch. I can shoot the course without cleaning between shots. 1st shot to last shot loads the same...easy for me. At times i will wipe between shots or every 5th but not often.

I have a 32 I need to swab after 3 shots or accuracy goes south. Some people make this claim, some do not. I'd say more it has something to do with the load and lube combo but that's just a guess. Cleaning to me is the same as any other just smaller cleaning stuff.

my vote is for 36 cal. I have more rifles in that caliber than any other. I use mine for target match shooting one is a Lehigh that I built and the other is a TVM Poor Boy also my wife also uses a SMR in 36 for her match rifle. I shoot my 2 all day with .360 ball and .018 pillow ticking patch. my wifes gun needs to have a patch run down it every 10-12 shots but my 2 rifles will go all day without wiping. very accurate for both of us but nothing wrong with a 32 cal either I have had several of them just prefer the 36.

As usual I am the odd man out....my crocket .32 is a bear to swab and clean. I believe I need to reduce the diameter of the jag. Will mess w/it later. My .36 is a bit better but not as easy as the .45 & UP.

As usual I am the odd man out....my crocket .32 is a bear to swab and clean. I believe I need to reduce the diameter of the jag. Will mess w/it later. My .36 is a bit better but not as easy as the .45 & UP.
I have found that a 30 caliber jag used for centerfire guns works well for swabbing and cleaning a .32 rifle. Especially for getting into the patent breech fire chamber.

I have found that my .32 cleans easier and faster than my other calibers. Don't know why, but it is. I have also found that I don't have to swab between shots. It does start getting a little harder to load after 15 or 16 shots though. I also find I have to clean the touch hole after each shot, but that is a minor inconvenience.

That's a very nice rifle pictured in your post, simonbeans. Currently the .32 & .36 in my stable are both SMR. But I have to say I killed more squirrels with my .32 Crockett than all the others combined. I'm not sure why azmntman's Crockett is being so stubborn when mine was so good natured. But they are individuals for sure.

My .36 gets more use than any other caliber but the .32 sees more experimentation. The .40, IMHO, is a might big for teeny critters.

That's a very nice rifle pictured in your post, simonbeans. Currently the .32 & .36 in my stable are both SMR. But I have to say I killed more squirrels with my .32 Crockett than all the others combined. I'm not sure why azmntman's Crockett is being so stubborn when mine was so good natured. But they are individuals for sure.

My .36 gets more use than any other caliber but the .32 sees more experimentation. The .40, IMHO, is a might big for teeny critters.
One advantage to the 40 caliber is that it's legal to use for both deer (38 cal and larger) and squirrel (40 cal and smaller) in PA, as I recall. I've been looking for one because of this.

rrebuck, Per Pa game commission for deer

muzzleloader long gun is .44cal and larger
Muzzleloader hand gun is .50cal and larger

For elk muzzleloader long and hand gun .50 and larger and 210gr projectile and larger

For bear muzzleloader long gun .44cal and larger
Muzzleloader hand gun .50 and larger

I have a .32 cal flintlock custom Southern Mountain Rifle - after years of shooting .50 and .45, I found the .32 much easier to load and clean as long as you properly size your ramrod attachments. All the jags I've ordered required some filing to fit with my preferred cleaning patches. My barrel is also coned and uses a drilled flashhole vs a liner. (load: .310 ball, .015 patch, 30gr by volume Goex 3F powder)

Attachments

• 90045376_10218942604248882_3027055029954543616_o.jpg
    90045376_10218942604248882_3027055029954543616_o.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 102
Back